Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Plasma and LCD HDTV

Plasma and LCD HDTV Talk about flat HDTVs here.

Old 03-04-2008   #7

Location: Slidell, Louisiana, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Cosmos
Default Re: Are Plasma TV's On Their Way Out?

Or I could be wrong...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/p...manufacturing/
rykerabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #8
rex

Default Japan's Pioneer to stop making plasma panels!

rykerabel,
Thanks for posting this unfortunate news.
For others interested, here is a direct link to the original story from CNBC:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/23454069/for/cnbc
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #9

So what does this mean to the consumer (i.e. me)? Do I need to run out and buy a KURO Elite tomorrow (don't temp me..., lol), as it will have the best PQ of any HDTV the market has to offer for the next couple years?
quikslvr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #10

Location: Slidell, Louisiana, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Cosmos

i think it actually means that Pioneer will still sell plasmas using their technology while paying panasonic to do the actual manufacturing of the plasma panels and furthermore they will license the kuro tech to help plasma stay on top of LCD.
Old 03-04-2008   #11

Wow, it is amazing how incorrect information is spread.... engaget's article about Pioneer getting out of the plasma business is all wrong.... Pioneer sees no need to produce 42" panels any more... 50" and larger are the target... they are selling their manufacturing plant that makes the 42" panels back to NEC to gain additional capitol and will outsource their glass for the 42" size from Panasonic and Samsung. They will of course make the frames and the driving electronics for those panels. But these TV's won't be true Kuros (black in Japanese).

Plasma has the (potential) of having the best picture quality, and read any review of any of the new Pioneers and you will see that everyone says it is the best display out there... but Plasmas are expensive to produce.... and expensive to set up a plant to manufacture... this is why everyone and their brother is making LCDs - lower startup costs.

Fujitsu stopped making plasma because they fell behind on the development curve and realized that it was too expensive to re-tool and catch up... besides, they have other fish to fry.
dcsalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #12

yeah, this is all speculation.

waiting for official word later this week.

either way, Kuro is the best right now and this news/rumor does not affect that.
Sponsored Links

Tags
business, coming, companies, discontinuing, earth, galaxyvideo, out, pioneer, plasma, plazma, production, revolution, size, sound, tv, tvs