Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 10-12-2007   #1

Default How much do you tip?

My broker tells me that I would tip a toll booth attendant - if they would let me. I don't think its that bad but there are some people who AMAZINGLY don't tip at all.

My take is: many service people make low wages and often automatic tipping (like at my country club) in the end goes to the house - not the server.

For good service, I tip 20% at a restaurant.

At a hard to get into place, I will grease the Host who got me the reservation from $20 to $100 - if I want to be able to get back. I will also make sure he remembers my name and ask him "what is the best number to call if I wanted to come back". There is often a "secret" number.

I do not tip people at a counter like at Subway or at the gym where they sell you a $4 bottle of water that requires no service other than to pull it from the fridge.

Where do you tip and how much?

Do you tip the Pizza guy if it is delivered?

Do you tip the cart girl on the golf course?

Have you ever tried tipping the guy checking you into a luxury hotel? That is a KILLER TRICK that can turn $20 cash into a $200 plus room upgrade as that $12 per hour guy has all of the power to move you on up like the Jeffersons.
Old 10-12-2007   #2

Default Re: How much do you tip?

I think is all depends on the situation. I tip the deliver guys and the wait staff. It also depends on the quality of service too.
Old 10-12-2007   #3

Thumbs up Re: How much do you tip?

I try to do the right thing at restaurants most of the time. Which is the standard 15%. However, like Jerry, my wife and I will tip more if the service was very good.

Yes, I do tip the delivery Chinese food and pizza guy. Good info Jerry on the hotel. That is good stuff to know.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #4

20-25%or more for good service or if I know the waiter/bartender.
~20% if it's done decently.
less than 20% from me you screwed up.

If the service really sucks, I will stiff people. True story, I have eaten at Ruth's Cris on three occasions in my life. All three times I have had some of the worst service in my life. The last time I was with ~10-12 people, many managers, waiter, bartenders (OK, some strippers too but who's counting?) and it was truly the WORST service I have ever had in a restaurant.

This guy was supposed to remove things from our bill and comp a desert (his offer) for destroying several meals. What in fact he did was ring someone elses tab onto our bill and remove that! When I checked the bill and called him on it, he tried to tell me we had those items, which we had not. He angrily took the tab back and after 30 more minutes of waiting returned the check to the table. I do not overestimate this time frame as we had gone to find the manager, who was not an easy find to get it so we could leave. To cut to the chase, on ~$900 tab, we left 35 cents, and no, the waiter had not added the 'mandatory tip for parties of x or more'

Do I feel bad about that? Hell no! The guy ruined a meal and a friends B-Day, and the food was poor. I will never go back to this chain, so they too took a hit from this guy....

I do also tip the pizza guy and the chinese food guy (especially the CFG as it's always one of the family and they know me and get me my food super fast!) several bucks for each delivery, usually ~$5.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #5

Yes, my CFG is very good on food and speed as well. Can`t say I`ve had that experience at a restaurant. I know that had to be very disappointing.

You probablly should have filled out one of those response cards. I bet someone would have responded, then!! But, I know sometimes once something leaves a bad taste in your mouth, its hard to go back. People are like that with electronics.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #6

I gave up on filling out cards. I call or go speak to the manager (and owner if present) when I have issues like this, and even then, often it doesn't change much.

In a TRULY high end place, the owner should comp the meal, or give you a pass on your next, but alas this is an outdated trend. They got the $$, you can leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bartenders, chris, clubs, country, french, guy, hotel, laundry, make, manager, nyc, pizza, ruths, tip, upgrades