Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 10-12-2007   #7

Default Re: How much do you tip?

I've dated several waitresses & know how hard they work & what kind of crap they have to put up with for not a lot of money so I always tip 20%.

The pizza guy usually gets $5 when it's just me but if there are a bunch of us it can get to $20.

I do expect good service & usually get it.
The places I go to are not the ones with $90 a person meals though!

I will not tolerate snobby treatment period, me & a bunch of guys accidentally went to a fairly ritzy place in KC once, we showed up after a race in bluejeans & everyone else there was in suits & gowns, we got seated (in the back) & treated badly so we took the table all night & tipped nothing!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #8

Smile Re: How much do you tip?

My standard tip is 20%, more if the service is excellent. I do agree with kennyt, if it sucks then no tip. My feeling is that if you work for tips then it's all in your hands and the service should be excellent. I'm pretty easy to get along with and I don't ask for a lot of special treatment or give a lot of wierd requests.

I don't like the automatic gratuity that is added in at restaurants. The service is usually not up to par and at worst they still get the 20%. I'm not a complainer, I just won't be back. Any more, the managers and owners don't care if you have a complaint so why waste your time.

I do like the resorts and hotels that are no tipping required and hold the employees to high standards. They are usually paid well and the 20% that is added to your bill is worth it.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #9

Default Ruth Chris'

I have had good service at the Ruth Chris' in Maui. Its one of the few air conditioned restaurants on the island and they serve up a pretty nice meal. I will say the sides are better than the steaks.

KennyT can comment on the food at Del Frisco's (which is a small chain, I recently learned) with Krell at CEDIA. Personally, I thought the steaks were NOTABLY good and tasty. The sides were very good as well.
Old 10-17-2007   #10

Default Story about Le Cirque

I will not tolerate snobby treatment period, me & a bunch of guys accidentally went to a fairly ritzy place in KC once, we showed up after a race in bluejeans & everyone else there was in suits & gowns, we got seated (in the back) & treated badly so we took the table all night & tipped nothing![/QUOTE]

------

I couldn't agree more about bad service.

If you have read Ruth Richell's book Garlic and Saphires - you will know what I am talking about here in terms of SNOBBY and downright unacceptable treatment.

A friend of my father's who is on the board of the FCC and friends with Mario, the owner of Le Cirque in NYC, got me a TOP table at Le Cirque in Las Vegas for CES on a Saturday night. Its a small place overlooking the watershow at Belagio. With the rep for being one of the BEST places to eat in America - we were all excited.

Needless to say - the food was average. The wine pairings were so-so and the service was TERRIBLE. At one point it got hot in the room and I took off my jacket. Within 30 seconds some ass-hole came over and said "Gentelmen, wear their jackets at dinner" to which I proceeded to suggest 5 star resaurants run their Air Conditioning during dinner.

In the end I tipped 15% but MAINLY because I didn't want it getting back to my father that I stiffed the guy. I might have left $20 on a $1,000 dinner tab for being treated so poorly.

In the Richell book when she was the lead fod reviewer for the New York Times (who often wore a disguise) she told of having the wine list taken from her within minutes to give to another more stately client. She still wussed out and give them 3 stars - down from a ASTRONOMICAL 4 stars from the NYT. I think it is a 1 to 1.5 star place. Compare it with The French Laundry and you'll know what I am talking about. CAN-DO service, 10 bell food and basically a bunch of people who LOVE to BLOW your MIND with stunning food and wine. The way it should be.
Old 10-17-2007   #11

Yeah,

Del Frisco's blew away anything I ever had at any Ruth's Chris and was better than many popular steak houses I've been to.

Their steaks were well seasoned and perfectly cooked! That, the waitress who was amazingly attentive (and attractive) and the crowd made for an amazing dinner and one I will not soon forget!

Last edited by kennyt; 10-18-2007 at 05:18 AM..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #12

The part where Dan and the Krell crew got to guess the 9 people who are banned from advertising on AVRev.com - was funny.
Sponsored Links

Tags
bartenders, chris, clubs, country, french, guy, hotel, laundry, make, manager, nyc, pizza, ruths, tip, upgrades