Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Do you still go "out" to the movies? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/782-do-you-still-go-out-movies.html)

TheMoose 09-23-2007 07:27 AM

Do you still go "out" to the movies?

Do you go out to see the new releases or do you wait to buy the disc & watch them in your home theater?

For me it's been years since I went out to the movies, I would rather wait till the Blu-Ray or DVD comes out & watch it at home instead of a crowded theater with people talking, cell phones ringing & my feet sticking to the floor!

J.J. 09-23-2007 09:07 AM

Re: Do you still go "out" to the movies?

I average about twice a year and that's as a date for my wife and I to get away from the kids. It's really just not a good value. You can buy the movie and watch it in the privacy of your own home without other people to contend with for the same or less money (and you own it).

With more and more HD content on the movie channels and BD to buy it just doesn't make sense unless your a teenager that just needs a place to go to get away from home or on a date. We actually want to be the place for the kids to come so we know what they are up too.

narcoticprayer 09-23-2007 11:08 AM

I go twice a month... usually to afternoon matinees during the week. I avoid crying kids and all that crap. If someone talks on the phone I yell shut it. I take my own popcorn and diet pepsi and sometimes red dollars.
The movies I go to see in the theater are usually of the blockbuster sort with the hope that the sound and picture will be better than I have at home. (which as you know isn't always the case)

JerryDelColliano 09-23-2007 11:18 AM

I haven't been to a movie since the screening of Deuce Biggalo (not kidding).

I am sitting in my theater watching football for the second day in a row (USC and Eagles) with a pile of Blu-rays and HD DVDs waiting for me if I feel the mood.

Honestly, I would just rather watch movies at home and I am willing to wait for them on video. Netflix has reduced my investment for movies (storage is an issue too).

I just dont see the nostagic value of seeing a movie in the theater. I actually think the cineplex is an endangered species.

IMAX is a different experience. Today's kids need that kind of WOW factor.

kennyt 09-23-2007 11:21 AM

Lately the wait hasn't been very long for the new films to hit DVD. When I really want to see something, I drop it into my Netflix que and wait.

deacongreg 09-24-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 3423)
I haven't been to a movie since the screening of Deuce Biggalo (not kidding).

I am sitting in my theater watching football for the second day in a row (USC and Eagles) with a pile of Blu-rays and HD DVDs waiting for me if I feel the mood.

Honestly, I would just rather watch movies at home and I am willing to wait for them on video. Netflix has reduced my investment for movies (storage is an issue too).

I just dont see the nostagic value of seeing a movie in the theater. I actually think the cineplex is an endangered species.

IMAX is a different experience. Today's kids need that kind of WOW factor.

IMAX is the key. After seeing Batman Begins in IMAX, my movie experience was heightened. Only problem is, all the movies I may like to see, are not always shown in IMAX.

Jerry, I guess you are excited about yesterday`s Eagles game. 56 points is quite an explosion. I guess McNabb is still upset, and took his frustrations out on the field. My Giants finally got a victory.

I guess I know exactly where you and I will be this Sunday night at 8:00pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!