Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 09-18-2007   #7

Default Re: What's up with Texting?

Unfortunately, texting is not part of the law. However, I'm sure it would not be much of a stretch in the interpretation of the law to give citations for texting.

CORRECTION:
Arnold recently signed a law that forbides drivers age of 16 and 17 from using a cellphone in a car, EVEN with the hands-free device. 18 and older can use the hands-free sets

Fines aren't severe enough though. Only $20 for the first offense and $50 for offenses after that. It needs to be $1,000 and a few nights in jail!

Last edited by tigeraudio2007; 09-18-2007 at 06:08 PM..
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #8

Good for Arnold only it's not just the kids. Giver me a soccer mom in her Excursion smoking a cigarette and on the phone anyday!!!

I especially love how when they drive ENTIRELY into your lane and you fdinally hit the horn they are mad at you!

Greg,

While I see your point the logic is flawed... How can something in print be 'private' to me that seems backwards..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #9

How about those drivers that are receiving directions on the phoen while driving and make a right turn from across the left lane.

I can see the logic in texting as being private. But any logic has flaw in it. If you talk on the phone it can be heard by someone else. And if you text it out then it can be read by someone else. It's lose lose no matter which way you look at it.

Plus, she is a teenage girl. All teenagers value privacy. It is a whole stage. And let's not forget, since when do teenagers come up with sound logic?
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #10

Teenage girl... I pity you! We just got one off to college and the other is 13....

I am so sure boys would have been easier!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #11

I've lived in the UK for more than a decade now, and in the UK, almost everyone texts, not phones (to avoid the dreaded 'I'm on a train' shouting sessions) -- though it is mostly the younger generation, not the older. Lots of people ONLY text, and will not communicate by phone (an ex- of mine, for instance ... she had other oddities, too, but I'll leave it at that). With texts you can answer them discreetly, and most importantly, you can ALWAYS make out what they're saying (unlike a mobile picked up on a train, etc.), plus they can be saved as long as necessary. Moreover, there's a sort of forced terseness to it, which many like. And they're legible too, by and large, as with predictive text, few use the stereotyped text speak you see on media representations of the 'form'.

When I come back to the US, I look around and say, 'what are all these people TALKING on their cell phones for' ... so it's not only generational, it's geographic.

PS. And, Jerry, sorry to hear about your dad and stepmom, but glad they're OK -- got a new driver today, by the way. First one in ten years. Better golf through superior technology, your motto if I recall.
jrm31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #12

Default Report from my club championship...

Jeff,

What's up homie! Glad to see you on the forum.

Dude, you NEED to change your username away from your email as you might get spammed all over the place.

I played my club championship this weekend. First hole smoked a 300 yard drive and proceede to shank a ball OB dead left for a 3 putt triple. Next hole got my drive in the fairway and its in a divot. 181 all carry over OB. Made the shot and on the green for a 2 putt par.

Shot 79 first day for a net 71 (yes my handicap is higher, thank you very much) leaving me 1 off the lead in the first flight and amazingly 4 off the lead in the champ flight (which I wasn't in).

Next day on the first hole I plugged a ball in the front face of a trap on the first hole. Our greens keeper got fired because of the course conditions for this event after 22 years on the job - and YES its that bad. I made a 7. On the 5th hole I went long and saw my ball down the newly paved cart path. Calaway HX56 with aqua sharpie marks poised RIGHT on a root. I smack the thing and it goes nowhere. I hit the next shot on the green and put up to the hole to realize this wasn't my ball despite being the correct brand and the SAME markings. I found my ball and played out for an 8 (with 2 stroke penalty).

In the end I was 10 over for the day on 5 par fives. I could do better than that right handed. Factor in this with the triple from the day before and its easy to see how I could go from 5th to 1st.

Nevertheless, it was the good 9 iron I hit after the wrong ball debacle that I liked best. Kept in the present and made a free swing. Very Dr. Bob - who I am going to see in October in VA.

What kind of driver did you get?
Sponsored Links

Tags
abbreviations, big, constantly, deal, died, fascination, girl, gmb, people, phone, purpose, text, texting, whats, ws