Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 03-24-2008   #37

Default Re: Favorite watch??

I own a few Rolex's, great watches, you can beat the living **** out of them and they'll keep going. In fact, I have had one for 18 years and the other one I own my dad handed down to me and it is like 33 years old and works great. In all those years, I had a mainspring break on my steel datejust (at the time cost me $45 to repair it), I have shattered the sapphire crystal once or twice and thus also did the hands, the clasp on the band wore out on the steel one but not the 33 year old gold day/date if that makes any sense?

I actually was waiting for almost a year for a long strap for an IWC Spitfire Chrono but since it took so long I bought the Graham Chronofighter Oversize and LOVE that watch! The thing is so flippin' big, it draws attention (maybe this is like large.....)

Jerry likes the Pateks, and don't get me wrong, if I could afford the highly complicated ones I like I would buy them, they are exceptional watches, many would argue the best made, I'm not personally of that ilk as I think there are so many different makers it's really tough to name one 'best'.

You hit on one of my personal favorites with Brequet (you spelled it right!) They make a ladies watch I almost bought for the wife that is steel with diamonds and an exhibition back with this Dali-esque face that is so cool! I love the look of the hands they use as well. When I buy a dress watch, likely several years off but it will be either a Breguet or Blancpain.

Last edited by kennyt; 03-24-2008 at 04:45 PM..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #38

BTW rolexdaytona,

Do you own the Daytona? If so, what metals? the steel is still the hot ticket though for the price difference, I think the white gold one is a better deal, as it can be had for less than retail and the steels seem to go for about twice......
Old 03-24-2008   #39

Not yet. That's the one watch I have in my cross-hairs. I went to several places looking for the SS w/ white face but couldn't find it. Some of the prices I was getting quoted were outrageous. I found a place that quoted me a price and when I asked him if he was sure that was the price he said YES! His price was $3000-$3500 less than all the quotes I got and he was the only one who didn't do "waiting lists". I do have the limited edition(50th anniversary) submariner and a SS and gold datejust that I have to send out for repair . I also have a Montblanc chronograph. I was my first serious buy in a watch. I don't like it as much as the Rolex cause it's to "flashy" and attracts to much attention. My Rolexes on the other hand look simple and people look at me and think there is no way it's real. I've actually overheard people say that I've worn them.
rolexdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #40

kennyt,

Have you seen the Ulysse Nardin Quadrato, Sonata Cathedral, or the Maxi Marnine?
They all look good, but I like the Sonate the best. I saw them in April '08 duPont Registry if you happen to get that mag.

Maxi Marine is a horrible name. . . sounds like an extra-strong feminine product. . . but the watch does look nice.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexdaytona View Post
Not yet. That's the one watch I have in my cross-hairs. I went to several places looking for the SS w/ white face but couldn't find it. Some of the prices I was getting quoted were outrageous. I found a place that quoted me a price and when I asked him if he was sure that was the price he said YES! His price was $3000-$3500 less than all the quotes I got and he was the only one who didn't do "waiting lists". I do have the limited edition(50th anniversary) submariner and a SS and gold datejust that I have to send out for repair . I also have a Montblanc chronograph. I was my first serious buy in a watch. I don't like it as much as the Rolex cause it's to "flashy" and attracts to much attention. My Rolexes on the other hand look simple and people look at me and think there is no way it's real. I've actually overheard people say that I've worn them.
A friend of mine has two, one with black and the other with the white face, try as I may he wouldn't sell the extra, and he bought both as retail!

Another guy I know also has the 50th Anniversary Submariner, I really like the green face and bezel, especially the face which is actually pretty subtle. I real statement piece without being over stated.
Old 03-24-2008   #42

Lucky guy! That's going to be my next purchase after my HTS gets done.
rolexdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blogspot, dress, fauxmega, favorite, forum, franck, italys, marine, maxi, muller, perpetual, revolution, video, watch, watches