Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 03-10-2010   #1

Default Frequency Response--Can 20Hz Amps send sub-20Hz signals?

I have several albums and soundtracks with bass drum, organ pedal, or digital effects that dip below 20hz. Do I need an amp that has a response below 20hz to optimize hearing/feeling those signals? My subwoofer (Carver Sunfire) seems to produce them.
The Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Frequency Response--Can 20Hz Amps send sub-20Hz signals?

The Sunfire has it's own amp. Using the subwoofer or LFE output to feed it should give you all the Sunfire will reproduce, assuming your preamp or receiver will output frequencies below 20 Hz.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #3

Thanks. I guess my real question was 'are there any receiver/amps out there rated below 20hZ?
The Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #4
Administrator

Maybe not receivers, but many of the preamp separates are rated below 20 Hz.

For example. the NAD C 165BEE preamp is rated 3-70,000 Hz.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ear View Post
I have several albums and soundtracks with bass drum, organ pedal, or digital effects that dip below 20hz. Do I need an amp that has a response below 20hz to optimize hearing/feeling those signals? My subwoofer (Carver Sunfire) seems to produce them.
Unless your organ recordings contain notes from one or more 32 foot pipes then 20 Hz is plenty for any A/V use. if you do have any recordings with 32 foot pipes then no, you will need something like a Bag End 18 inch with the electronic controls to give you flat down to 16Hz.
I don't have such a subwoofer yet (I do have dreams). I once took a theater organ recording I have of an organ with three 32 foot pipes to a huge Equipment store where they had a 24" Parasound GMAS woofer.
It created the sensation of the whole building swaying.
wilkinsb@telus.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
20, 20hz, amp, av, bass, c165, carver, cheap, forum, frequencies, frequency, hz, nad, receiver, responce, response, subwoofer