Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Movies now on self-erasing DVD's, amazing! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1852-movies-now-self-erasing-dvds-amazing.html)

rex 04-18-2008 09:27 PM

Movies now on self-erasing DVD's, amazing!

Four European countries are offering DVD movies on a format called DVD-D that is unique in that the content is erased 8 hours after the disposable disc makes its first rotation in a player. The format is also applied to software, with a 48-hour life span, either of which can be kept indefinitely until its first use, at which point the timer starts. Such DVD-Ds are available in Italy, France, Germany and Scandinavia at bookstores, gas stations and kiosks for about a third of the price of a traditional multi-play DVD. http://www.electronista.com/articles...rasing.dvd.ds/

This reminds me of the now defunct DIVX format (not to be confused with the video codec DivX) that was promoted in 1999 at Circuit City and Ultimate Electronics. Unlike the old DIVX discs which required a special player with a phone connection, these DVDs apparently play on any regular DVD player. If they catch on in Europe, who knows, perhaps they will come here?

kennyt 04-19-2008 03:38 AM

Re: Movies now on self-erasing DVD's, amazing!

I remember reading about this technology, the disc is sealed in an airtight envelope and upon exposure to air, it degrades over several hours. The last I heard was a couple years ago, I am surprised to see it finally come to market, especially as cost was a problem for them. I would be very wary of buying software on a disposable format, what do you do once it degrades? If I need to format my computers HD and start over, does that mean I have to buy the software again??

rex 04-19-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 14111)
I remember reading about this technology, the disc is sealed in an airtight envelope and upon exposure to air, it degrades over several hours.

Ken,
I think these may work differently, since it says you can buy recordable discs and even specify how long before self-destruction, though how they can do that is truly amazing. The disc has to physically change, somehow. The biggest problem I see, is preventing the contents from being copied first. I, also, wonder if the destruction generates smoke, like the tapes on the old Mission Impossible series, remember?

"After the 48 hours are up, inserting the disc into a DVD player will result in a No Disc message. Recordable DVD-D discs are also available, with a 4.5GB capacity. The blank DVD-D+R can be recorded at up to 8X speed, and can either be ordered with pre-recorded content in quantities less than 2,000, or bought as blanks. The client can then specify how long the data is to remain, having the option of one-time viewing only, or a time period of 8 hours, 48 hours or otherwise. Blank DVD-D+Rs available for purchase can be recorded with a 48-hour data life."

kennyt 04-19-2008 04:00 PM

That is pretty cool! The ones I read about were using a degradable compound, and this was the limiting factor of their production.

I can't see how unless it is via software that the disc could be specified by the user, I'd like to know how they pulled this off!

rex 05-30-2008 12:31 PM

Staples now carries self-destructing DVDs

Staples will begin carrying Flexplay Entertainment’s self-destructing DVD movies next month. The discs, manufactured with Flexplay’s time-limited technology, can be viewed for only 48 hours after removal from a special sealed pouch. After two days the DVDs become unplayable and can then be discarded or recycled. Flexplay discs can be viewed on any standard DVD player and remain viable within the package for about one year. Staples, the office supply chain, plans to offer the DVDs for $4.99 at its 1,500 U.S. stores. Initial titles will include “Semi-Pro,” “The Kite Runner,” “There Will Be Blood” and “The Golden Compass,” among others. Flexplay uses a proprietary, patented adhesive to glue together the plastic disc halves that form a DVD. Removing the Flexplay DVD from its sealed package exposes the disc to oxygen, triggering a controlled chemical reaction that causes the adhesive to interfere with the ability of the DVD player’s laser to read the disc. Flexplay has partnered with environmentally friendly recyclers, plastics suppliers and selected retailers to implement several closed-loop recycling options including consumer mail-in, prepaid postage options and collection points through local environmental organizations.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6565113.html

rlpiii 05-30-2008 01:14 PM

Re: Staples now carries self-destructing DVDs

This sounds like potential for a gooey mess in your player. . . I'll just stick with Netflix.