Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 03-16-2008   #1

Question Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

I've bought a few things on eBay but never anything over $100.

While searching around I see a brand new piece of gear I've been wanting at $1000 less than retail price.
I've emailed the guy asking if he is an authorized dealer so there will be a full warranty & I'm seriously thinking about buying it if he is.

I'm kind of leary to spend almost $2000 from some guy online that's in another state but it's such a great deal!

What do you all think about spending large amounts of $$$$ on eBay?

Oh, & no I won't say what it is until after I decide if I'm going to buy it so Kenny won't out bid me!!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #2

Default Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on Eba?

TheMoose,

I've bought many items from Eba, car stereo, home stereo, and car parts with no problems. Remember to check the seller reputation on Eba and other sites if you can find them. I stay away from small sellers because their reliability is sometimes scanty.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #3

Default Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

I prefer to buy audio gear at www.audiogon.com.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #4

Well I passed on it today I only found it about 4 hours before the auction expired & needed a little more time to research the dealer.
It turns out he is an authorized dealer with a 99.3% positive feedback score but since he said he's sold 40 of them I don't think I'll have a problem finding it again when I'm ready to buy.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

While searching around I see a brand new piece of gear I've been wanting at $1000 less than retail price.
I've emailed the guy asking if he is an authorized dealer so there will be a full warranty & I'm seriously thinking about buying it if he is.

I'm kind of leary to spend almost $2000 from some guy online that's in another state but it's such a great deal!

Oh, & no I won't say what it is until after I decide if I'm going to buy it so Kenny won't out bid me!!
I bought my Panasonic PT- AE700U from Ebay and never regretted it! It has served me very well. I also bought my replacement tweeters for my Snell E-II's on Ebay - these tweeters are very rare and difficult to find (the closest thing to it is a tweeter made for Audio Note). I've bought computer parts and HT gear from Ebay and sold it also. I've sold Klipsch Heresy's on Ebay, Rare JBL's (still a vintage man), my old Fosgate 3A years ago, a Nak Tape deck (the model under the Dragon). I was surprised at how much I got for the stuff!!!! I made over 10 times (not percent) the amount I paid for the Klipsch speakers. I love ebay and you are wise not to tell anyone what it is - especially if they might out bid you ! I also love www.audiogon.com and www.videogon.com!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #6
Super Moderator

I buy computer parts on eBay on occasion, and have not been burned there. There are however risks to buying equipment on it, since some manufacturers have stated policies that prohibit internet sales by unauthorized distributors, including sales on eBay, so they will not honor the warranty of their items if they are purchased there. I would recommend visiting the equipment maker's website and verifying that the seller is an authorized distributor, and that the seller is authorized, before making that bid. If everything is on the level, then bid away!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Tags
3a, auction, audio, authorized, buy, buying, ebay, equipment, fosgate, gear, home, parts, price, theater, theatre, warranty