Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1724-would-you-buy-home-theater-gear-ebay.html)

TheMoose 03-16-2008 11:16 AM

Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

I've bought a few things on eBay but never anything over $100.

While searching around I see a brand new piece of gear I've been wanting at $1000 less than retail price.
I've emailed the guy asking if he is an authorized dealer so there will be a full warranty & I'm seriously thinking about buying it if he is.

I'm kind of leary to spend almost $2000 from some guy online that's in another state but it's such a great deal!

What do you all think about spending large amounts of $$$$ on eBay?

Oh, & no I won't say what it is until after I decide if I'm going to buy it so Kenny won't out bid me!! :p

i30krab 03-16-2008 12:38 PM

Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on Eba?

TheMoose,

I've bought many items from Eba, car stereo, home stereo, and car parts with no problems. Remember to check the seller reputation on Eba and other sites if you can find them. I stay away from small sellers because their reliability is sometimes scanty.

faberryman 03-16-2008 03:14 PM

Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

I prefer to buy audio gear at www.audiogon.com.

TheMoose 03-16-2008 03:14 PM

Well I passed on it today I only found it about 4 hours before the auction expired & needed a little more time to research the dealer.
It turns out he is an authorized dealer with a 99.3% positive feedback score but since he said he's sold 40 of them I don't think I'll have a problem finding it again when I'm ready to buy.

prerich 03-16-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 12938)

While searching around I see a brand new piece of gear I've been wanting at $1000 less than retail price.
I've emailed the guy asking if he is an authorized dealer so there will be a full warranty & I'm seriously thinking about buying it if he is.

I'm kind of leary to spend almost $2000 from some guy online that's in another state but it's such a great deal!

Oh, & no I won't say what it is until after I decide if I'm going to buy it so Kenny won't out bid me!! :p

I bought my Panasonic PT- AE700U from Ebay and never regretted it! It has served me very well. I also bought my replacement tweeters for my Snell E-II's on Ebay - these tweeters are very rare and difficult to find (the closest thing to it is a tweeter made for Audio Note). I've bought computer parts and HT gear from Ebay and sold it also. I've sold Klipsch Heresy's on Ebay, Rare JBL's (still a vintage man), my old Fosgate 3A years ago, a Nak Tape deck (the model under the Dragon). I was surprised at how much I got for the stuff!!!! I made over 10 times (not percent) the amount I paid for the Klipsch speakers. I love ebay and you are wise not to tell anyone what it is - especially if they might out bid you :)! I also love www.audiogon.com and www.videogon.com!

kloneman 03-17-2008 06:33 AM

I buy computer parts on eBay on occasion, and have not been burned there. There are however risks to buying equipment on it, since some manufacturers have stated policies that prohibit internet sales by unauthorized distributors, including sales on eBay, so they will not honor the warranty of their items if they are purchased there. I would recommend visiting the equipment maker's website and verifying that the seller is an authorized distributor, and that the seller is authorized, before making that bid. If everything is on the level, then bid away!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 12938)