Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 08-25-2009   #31
Administrator

Default Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
You still paid too much for the monster cable
I wondered if someone was going to jump on that.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #32

Smile Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
You still paid too much for the monster cable
Eh, I couldn't find a cheaper sub interconnect that weekend, lol.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #33

Thumbs down Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

I just had a bad experience with buying on an auction. I bought the Krell DVD standard and asked specific questions about it with the seller. I bought it through Pay Pal and when I got it the menu items didnít work. The seller would NOT take it back and I informed Pay Pal. The closed the case in literally one minuteÖruling against me. Pal Pal advertizes that they help us, but they donít. I felt swindled and bit stupid.

However I forwarded the information to Visa and they very quickly resolved it my favor. The seller said I took a week to contact him (I took two days) That he sold it as is (not true, Iíd never buy anything on line ďas isĒ) and a dozen other flat out lies.

Interestingly, he said that it was still under warranty. So I called Krell who would have repaired it if he sent me the receipt or the receipt number. He refused to respond to any email.

My advice: Donít buy anything you cannot see on line unless you think you can get your money back. This guy had several great reviews, but it was bad.
Lefisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #34

My experiences with ebay were both negative although I have friends who have positive experiences.
I'm not sure about video but for buying internet Audio I go to saturdayaudio.com in Chicago They have proven reputable, and sell new, demos and used.
The used are all in good working condition with their cosmetics given a rating.
once I bought a piece of equipment that when the package arrived was not what I ordered. I contacted them immediately and got the comment "So that's where that went to" as the person who received my parcel had already phoned in.
I was given their UPS account # and shipped it back at no cost to me and a few days later, my package arrived as ordered.
wilkinsb@telus.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #35

I have bought a lot of used gear, but only one piece on eBay, the rest on Audiogon. By FAR I prefer Audiogon. On eBay the knowledge of the seller is really hit-or-miss - you get pawn dealers and all sorts of folks who may not have ever used the equipment, and looking for audio gear among all the other detritus listed out there (decals, signs, etc) can be annoying.

On Audiogon, I've traded up from B&W 603s and LCR to Matrrix 803s and 805s, selling, trading, getting good bargains and upgrading substantially. The one piece I bought on eBay was an older 180 WPC 5ch Classe amp - its condition was OK, but I ended up selling it later (on Audiogon) and replaced it with a CA-5200. You can buy online with great results, I just MUCH prefer Audiogon to eBay.
Celt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #36

I've bought a lot of stuff off eBay - a plasma, HD projector, Dish DVR and dish, ReplayTV to name a few - you just have to be careful about what you get and who you buy from.

Tags
3a, auction, audio, authorized, buy, buying, ebay, equipment, fosgate, gear, home, parts, price, theater, theatre, warranty