Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 03-21-2008   #19

Default Re: Would you buy Home Theater gear on EBay?

I`m not a big e-bay person, where my wife and daughter are. I`ll probably play it safe and stay old school. Meaning, buy from a dealer or high end retailer you trust and have a relationship with. Get the best price you can, knowing you have the support, expertise, and warranty stuff all worked out w/o a problem.

Though I`m not blind to some of these great prices, not being sure if the equipment is under warranty, is a source of concern for me. And investing this kind of money that we do, piece of mind, at least for me, is very important.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
I`m not a big e-bay person, where my wife and daughter are. I`ll probably play it safe and stay old school. Meaning, buy from a dealer or high end retailer you trust and have a relationship with. Get the best price you can, knowing you have the support, expertise, and warranty stuff all worked out w/o a problem.

Though I`m not blind to some of these great prices, not being sure if the equipment is under warranty, is a source of concern for me. And investing this kind of money that we do, piece of mind, at least for me, is very important.
Yea once I found out it would not be covered by JL under warranty it was a no go for me.
It was tempting to save over $1000 but what would it have cost me if something broke on it or if it had been damaged in shipping?

I have a good dealer & that makes a big difference, it's nice to know there is someone local to back me up!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
what would it have cost me if something broke on it or if it had been damaged in shipping?
Well, Moose, a good dealer is worth every extra penny as support when you need it is paramount.

Now to address your quote...

Odds are it would cost less than $1K to fix any sub if it went bad, much of the production cost is cabinet and R&D, so materials are relatively cheap.

If it was broken in transport, then it should cost you nothing as you SHOULD insure it when you buy it......

I have bought much audio gear used and never had a problem, other than ones I caused and had to resolve. When I shipped properly (and for used gear sometimes this means paying for a mailboxes place to pack and ship, which is not cheap, but they will guarantee it gets there safe and sound) I've always had a successful deal.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Well, Moose, a good dealer is worth every extra penny as support when you need it is paramount.

Odds are it would cost less than $1K to fix any sub if it went bad, much of the production cost is cabinet and R&D, so materials are relatively cheap.

If it was broken in transport, then it should cost you nothing as you SHOULD insure it when you buy it......

I have bought much audio gear used and never had a problem, other than ones I caused and had to resolve. When I shipped properly (and for used gear sometimes this means paying for a mailboxes place to pack and ship, which is not cheap, but they will guarantee it gets there safe and sound) I've always had a successful deal.

I gotta say a $2700 fathom for $1650 is very tempting!!
Since he has an excellent rating & with insurance on shipping I may have to rethink this!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #23

Default Re: RockyBid.com Online Reverse Auction site with cheap items

You want a Fun web site check this one out “Rockybid.com” Best thing since peanut butter and jelly was invented. (No! this is not an advertisement) When you go there you will see what I mean. And if you feel I wasted 10 seconds of you life, come back and tell me. (But that will probably cost you another 10 seconds) Enjoy.

You'll get 2 free bids for registering!

But unlike other auction websites, as a result of paying per bid, you can pick up some amazing bargains, here is how:

* Each auction starts at $0.
* Each time a bid is placed, the price goes Bidding on Rocky Bid is exciting, fun, and can result in some amazing bargains! Here is how it works:

Unlike most auctions where bidding is free, on Rocky Bid you pay per bid. But don't worry we give you up ether $0.01 or $0.15 depending on the auction.
* Each time a bid is placed, the time extends by 15 seconds.
* The winner is the last person to bid when the timer reaches zero.

If you lose one auction, don't worry, you can use the value of the bids to pay the price of a future winning auction within 30 days

Also, when you purchase bids we give you points to use in our store to get free gifts and exciting discounts.

Of course, we have added a couple of extras to make things easier. The Bid Buddy allows you to automate your bidding. Just enter in the minimum and maximum price and the number of bids that you want to use and the system will bid for you!

www.rockybid.com
henryadam80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post

The stuff I usually purchase is so ancient that "support" is a non-issue anyway. My latest acquisition is about 30 years old, and its original maker has been bought and sold several times, and the company is now in China of all places to end up.

Tags
3a, auction, audio, authorized, buy, buying, ebay, equipment, fosgate, gear, home, parts, price, theater, theatre, warranty