Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Can itunes convert my files into another library? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1625-can-itunes-convert-my-files-into-another-library.html)

kennyt 02-25-2008 01:12 PM

Can itunes convert my files into another library?

Well, alas I am done, every CD I can find in the house and cars is loaded onto a 1TB HD in AIFF on my Mac Pro for distribution currently by Airport Expresses and likely son by Apple TV v2's.

The question.......

I want to compress them onto a different HD but can only see how to do it to the same drive (make two copies in the same library). Can I do this and then just drag and drop all the MP3's (or whatever compressed file I choose) onto the other drive from iTunes or can I do it directly from the program?

So far it doesn't seem you can do it directly.... anyone got a fix for this?

rlpiii 02-25-2008 01:19 PM

Re: Can itunes convert my files into another library?

You can always mirror your main drive, and then modify the mirror accordingly.

kennyt 02-25-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 12090)
You can always mirror your main drive, and then modify the mirror accordingly.

Not sure what you mean, the problem is I want to compress the entire collection to Apple Lossless or even MP3, but the HD I want to use to hold it won't fit the entire library in AIFF.

kloneman 02-25-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 12100)
Not sure what you mean, the problem is I want to compress the entire collection to Apple Lossless or even MP3, but the HD I want to use to hold it won't fit the entire library in AIFF.

I'll bet you can do it this way:

1. Create another iTunes Library, by launching ITunes, while holding the option key down, and then choose the "Create new library" option.

2. From the Finder, navigate to where the source songs are. These are usually found in the location: ~username/Music/iTunes_Music/

3. Import sections of your first library into the second, by dropping folders (or groups of folders) from the finder window into the new iTunes window.

4. Once a section has been imported, select the music files within the "new" iTunes window, and from the iTunes "Advanced" menu, select "Convert selection to Apple Lossess". This will result in a copy of each file in Lossless format. The copy will have the same metadata needed to keep it categorized, etc.

5. To recoup space, delete the original source files from the newly created library.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 as needed to get the whole library over. The key is to do it in sections of small enough size, so your drive is not filled up.

kennyt 02-26-2008 03:21 AM

I had thought of that, I was hoping for a simpler way.

kloneman 02-26-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 12137)
I had thought of that, I was hoping for a simpler way.

You can probably automate this with Applescript and Automator. I've never mastered that though. Finder Actions and "Folder Actions" are probably key parts of it. I'll bet iTunes is scriptable too.