Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 02-22-2008   #13

Default Re: The Download Dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Don`t get me wrong, my stepson is 15, turning 16 tomorrow. But, despite it all, you do have to set limits. Whether they want you to, or not. Whether they have their own job. But, I hear you.
All I`m saying is that its early in the game. Blu-Ray is king, lets chill and see what the future brings. Much has to happen, Blu-Ray has definitely got to improve its act, esppecially for the mainstream customers to jump on board. Lets not forget the burnt and angry HD DVD customers.
I hear ya!!! When my children wanted jobs after-school I told them this - in order to have a job after school - you need to perform great in school (no moonlighting). They did fair but didn't meet the standards for after school work - just summertime jobs. I know what you mean when you talk about limits - maybe that's why they've all moved out...hmmm? You are correct, it's very early in the game and a lot of dust still needs to be cleared.

Last edited by prerich; 02-22-2008 at 01:06 PM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #14

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Thumbs up There IS No Download Dilema (For Verizon Customers) [Was:Re: The Download Dilema]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Samsung has an $99 version of "XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE," that is supposed to come out this summer. Basically its a Box for your TV that allows you to download all the LIVE movies in up to 720p.

I also know Samsung is planning on building these units into their TVs for 2009.

If MS nabs VIZIO and other popular TV manufacturers with it, it will catch on.

Space isn't important with these units you buy once, and can re-download whenever you want.
The article referenced in the very first post in this thread references a blog at TechCrunch written by a gentleman named David Riley.

I posted the following as a reply to his blog report (Mr. Riley apparently has no working knowledge of optical networking and its commercial applications AND potential).

Feel free to read it and come to your own conclusion - I don't expect to make believers out of everyone here, as some prefer physical media in lieu of electrons. I myself fall into that category as I still collect vinyl records and I would never download music I can purchase on a CD, or even better, on a re-issued vinyl LP!

As always, here, YMMV, of course.

---------------

Mr. Riley,

You need to acquaint yourself and understand “DWDM:” Dense Wave Digital Multiplexing. This is why Verizon is deploying fibre to the home - They understand DWDM and because they know how to use it and what it can do, they will be able to very easily upgrade their network with DWDM. This means they will be able to offer 1080p downloads to the customers long before 2010 whilst other Telco’s and Cable Companies can only dream about this capability.

Verizon is the ONLY major Telco to understand why it was so important to bite the financial bullet and run fibre directly to the home. Virtually all the others are running fibre to a neighborhood switch, but the final connection from this switch is a really slow copper wire connection to a customer’s home. What this means in a practical sense is that with DWDM and fibre to your home, Verizon will be able to send thousands of TV channels and multiple 1080p movies to your home whilst their competitors will be stuck trying to compete with Verizon using old, obsolete, outdated, really slow copper wire connectivity to their customer’s homes.

And in case you didn’t know, Verizon’s is the largest local telephone company in the US, and they now have, after their acquisition of GTE, almost as many customers as AT&T had before the DOJ broke up AT&T into seven different local telephone companies.

So why is DWDM such a great technology? Rather than bore you here, go to http://www.wikipedia.org and first type in “OC-1” to understand how fibre networks function, then type in “DWDM” and your jaw will drop. The short version: Before DWDM, only one signal could be sent down a single strand within a fibre optic cable. Now, with DWDM, hundreds of signals can be sent down just ONE strand.

Bottom line: If you have fibre connected directly to your home and your carrier is deploying DWDM (like Verizon is), Blue Ray downloads and Blue Ray VOD will be here in less than two years.

Mr. Riley, please do a bit more research and fact checking before you try and scare your readers with such inaccurate information as you have written in this article I am responding to. I am disappointed in your lack of due diligence in researching your facts before you put finger to keyboard.

Respectfully,

Vinyl Rules!
[A former SONET SME (Synchronous Optical Network Subject Matter Expert) for both GTE and Sprint]
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #15

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Ah Goeroge Orwell was so right, I couldn't agree with you more! The loss of freedom is, and will continue to be, a slow process. One so slow you won't even notice it until it's to late...... Some people think I am paranoid when I speak of these issues, I see them as ignorant, one of us is right.
I used to work for the NSA prior to moving to the private sector (more money and less stress).

Enemy Of The State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman was 100% technically accurate in the technology it depicted, but it's probably no surprise to you that most of what you view in this movie has now been replaced with better, more precise technology.

And if you don't like it and are too publicaly vocal in your disagreement, well, we can always send you on an extended vacation to Gitmo. You do like water, don't you? [This is almost, but not quite a joke ].
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington

Last edited by Vinyl Rules!; 02-23-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Old 02-23-2008   #16

Thank you for helping further my 'paranoia'....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Rules! View Post
I used to work for the NSA prior to moving to the private sector (more money and less stress).

Enemy Of The State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman was 100% technically accurate in the technology it depicted, but it's probably no surprise to you that most of what you view in this movie has now been replaced with better, more precise technology.

And if you don't like it and are too publicaly vocal in your disagreement, well, we can always send you on an extended vacation to Gitmo. You do like water, don't you? [This is almost, but not quite a joke ].
Hey, Vinyl...can you post that comment hear without getting into trouble? (Worked for NSA myself in the 80's and 90's - actually I worked at the stepchild the Fannex). PM me (that's a laugh, private messages...right).

Last edited by prerich; 02-25-2008 at 06:43 AM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Hey, Vinyl...can you post that comment hear without getting into trouble? (Worked for NSA myself in the 80's and 90's - actually I worked at the stepchild the Fannex). PM me (that's a laugh, private messages...right).
Steven Aftergood, James Bamford and Tom Clancey are still free and still publishing.
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Sponsored Links

Tags
dilema, downlod, fannex, md, nsa