Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 02-21-2008   #7

Default Re: The Download Dilema

I would hardly classify Job's implementation of iTunes as ruining the music industry. Yes, he's guilty of lowering the sound quality bar however, because of iTunes, access to music and interest in said music has grown and continues to get stronger. Sure you can do better quality rips but most people don't critically listen to music so much as they just have it "on" for enjoyment. For a large portion of the population iTunes is perfect and that is who Jobs is tapped into. We forget that we are a small percentage that tries to dictate how others should care/listen/feel about their music. Listening to music and the experience one gets from it is subjective at best and largely dependent upon the individual, which is why I can never bring myself to pass judgement upon anyone who may think that 128 or 256K downloads are acceptable, because who am I to tell them what to think or feel. While those resolutions may not work for me they clearly work for others for it's about quantity and convenience over quality. Jerry you sound like a bitter old audiophile.

As for downloadable movies, the AppleTV take 2 is leaps and bounds better than the previous incarnation and frankly, with its 1080p output capability it's only a matter of time before the 720p bar gets raised. However, I have now watched several 720p downloads or rentals and have found the quality both in picture and sound to be rather exceptional considering. It's truly not bad. Plus, I downloaded them without having to go to my computer and they began playing in under two minutes which is more than I can say for my HD players. Netflix's play on demand via your computer doesn't even come close to touching what I can do via an AppleTV or iTunes today. Will it get there? You bet, but don't expect Jobs to rest on his laurels either.

Someone said they expect Blu-ray to have a life expectancy of five years. I don't believe it has that long personally. This download idea is where it is at and for better or worse, stodgy old ideals or not, we all better jump aboard.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #8

Cool Re: The Download Dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Someone said they expect Blu-ray to have a life expectancy of five years. I don't believe it has that long personally. This download idea is where it is at and for better or worse, stodgy old ideals or not, we all better jump aboard.
Well I expect Blu-Ray to have more than a 5 year life span!
First off it is Sony that has a stake in it & with the PS3 games required to be on Blu-Ray there will be support for it for quite a while IMO.

If people think J6P doesn't understand HDM what makes anyone think that he will embrace downloads?
I don't see J6P paying $399.99 (circuit City price 160G) for an Apple TV & then renting movies on it.
I sure don't see him downloading them on his computer & streaming them to his TV!

This is just me but I like collecting discs, on rainy or snowy days when there is nothing to do outside I can pick a movie & watch it, I can take it to work & watch it there, or a friends house if that suits me.
Now that said if they do get 1080p movies with lossless audio I probably will buy an Apple TV because there are some movies I want to see but don't need in my collection but I don't see it replacing DVDs or Blu-Ray, I can see it replacing Blockbuster & Netflix though but your going to have to change the part where it self destructs a month after you rent it even if you haven't watched it or in 24 hours after you start watching it even if you didn't have a chance to watch all of it and I want it released day & date with physical media!

I may be naive but thats just my opinion.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Well I expect Blu-Ray to have more than a 5 year life span!
First off it is Sony that has a stake in it & with the PS3 games required to be on Blu-Ray there will be support for it for quite a while IMO.

If people think J6P doesn't understand HDM what makes anyone think that he will embrace downloads?
I don't see J6P paying $399.99 (circuit City price 160G) for an Apple TV & then renting movies on it.
I sure don't see him downloading them on his computer & streaming them to his TV!

This is just me but I like collecting discs, on rainy or snowy days when there is nothing to do outside I can pick a movie & watch it, I can take it to work & watch it there, or a friends house if that suits me.
Now that said if they do get 1080p movies with lossless audio I probably will buy an Apple TV because there are some movies I want to see but don't need in my collection but I don't see it replacing DVDs or Blu-Ray, I can see it replacing Blockbuster & Netflix though but your going to have to change the part where it self destructs a month after you rent it even if you haven't watched it or in 24 hours after you start watching it even if you didn't have a chance to watch all of it and I want it released day & date with physical media!

I may be naive but thats just my opinion.

Samsung has an $99 version of "XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE," that is supposed to come out this summer. Basically its a Box for your TV that allows you to download all the LIVE movies in up to 720p.

I also know Samsung is planning on building these units into their TVs for 2009.

If MS nabs VIZIO and other popular TV manufacturers with it, it will catch on.

Space isn't important with these units you buy once, and can re-download whenever you want.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #10

Andrew and TheMoose, I tend to agree a little with both of what you guys are saying. However, as you said Andrew, we tend to forget that we are a small segment of the community. It is going to require a major change in thinking, for the mass consumer base to embrace downloading movies and paying for them.

Young people, who do most of the downloading, live at home, thus, mom and dad have to pay for these downloads. I think we need at least to wait until the ink is drive on the format war, and see what happens from there. Its still real early to me, in my opinion, for all of this. We still have angry, upset, burnt consumers that have HD DVD players, we no recourse now. Since Toshiba has stated, they are not planning to do a thing for them.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Andrew and TheMoose, I tend to agree a little with both of what you guys are saying. However, as you said Andrew, we tend to forget that we are a small segment of the community. It is going to require a major change in thinking, for the mass consumer base to embrace downloading movies and paying for them.

Young people, who do most of the downloading, live at home, thus, mom and dad have to pay for these downloads. I think we need at least to wait until the ink is drive on the format war, and see what happens from there. Its still real early to me, in my opinion, for all of this. We still have angry, upset, burnt consumers that have HD DVD players, we no recourse now. Since Toshiba has stated, they are not planning to do a thing for them.
Deacon - these kids are different today. As soon as they hit 14, they are trying to find a job (not trying for an education to get a better job). They want to work now - why? Because they want stuff now if mom and dad can't afford it. They just don't want a car - they want a good car, they want 150.00 sneakers, Ipods, Iphones, ect...! And they will work just to have these things but have nothing to go to the "head" in (Naval term for bathroom). My kids had more than I ever had but thought they didn't have enough. My son's have HT's that consist of Snell, Polk SDA, Paradigm, Denon, Citation, dbx, ect!!!! They want it all!!!! And they find a way to get it. My youngest son - who has moved out - has always had a running account with Nintendo to get his favorite old skool games on the Wii - I didn't fund this. Teens have more spending power that ever. Don't overlook them.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #12

Smile Re: The Download Dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Deacon - these kids are different today. As soon as they hit 14, they are trying to find a job (not trying for an education to get a better job). They want to work now - why? Because they want stuff now if mom and dad can't afford it. They just don't want a car - they want a good car, they want 150.00 sneakers, Ipods, Iphones, ect...! And they will work just to have these things but have nothing to go to the "head" in (Naval term for bathroom). My kids had more than I ever had but thought they didn't have enough. My son's have HT's that consist of Snell, Polk SDA, Paradigm, Denon, Citation, dbx, ect!!!! They want it all!!!! And they find a way to get it. My youngest son - who has moved out - has always had a running account with Nintendo to get his favorite old skool games on the Wii - I didn't fund this. Teens have more spending power that ever. Don't overlook them.
Don`t get me wrong, my stepson is 15, turning 16 tomorrow. But, despite it all, you do have to set limits. Whether they want you to, or not. Whether they have their own job. But, I hear you.
All I`m saying is that its early in the game. Blu-Ray is king, lets chill and see what the future brings. Much has to happen, Blu-Ray has definitely got to improve its act, esppecially for the mainstream customers to jump on board. Lets not forget the burnt and angry HD DVD customers.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
dilema, downlod, fannex, md, nsa