Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Microsoft lays an egg at GDC! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1602-microsoft-lays-egg-gdc.html)

TheMoose 02-19-2008 04:29 PM

Microsoft lays an egg at GDC!

I'm guessing heads will roll for this one!

Click the link & check out the video, it's kinda funny!
From Engadget

Microsoft gets RRoD at GDC

Just days ago, we heard that Microsoft's Xbox 360 failure rate was at a staggering 16-percent. Not helping Redmond's cause in making you believe otherwise, one of the hand-picked machines used at the 2008 Game Developers Conference was actually suffering from the infamous Red Ring of Death. Comedic gold? Yes, indeed.

For the non gamers GDC is the Game Developers Conference, one of the most important gatherings for the video game industry.
The RRoD is the "Red Ring Of Death" that's the 3 red lights that show up when the Xbox 360 has "ceased to function", this is the failure that caused the huge Billion dollar warranty extension that Microsoft had to give the Xbox 360.

What were they thinking leaving this dead box on the show floor!?
Did they not think it would be bad when the news camera started filming it?

Also the RROD was supposed to be a problem with first generation Xbox 360's, perhaps the problem hasn't been solved.

kennyt 02-19-2008 05:10 PM

Re: Microsoft lays an egg at GDC!

Moose, I didn't ear about the egg? Who's butt did it come out of???

Great story, I've seen the one from CES where someone went in with a remote and turned off the TV's during a presentation (I thought it was amazingly rude and asinine but that is me) but to have your own gear truly crap out on stage is just classic!

TheMoose 02-19-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 11693)
Moose, I didn't ear about the egg? Who's butt did it come out of???

Great story, I've seen the one from CES where someone went in with a remote and turned off the TV's during a presentation (I thought it was amazingly rude and asinine but that is me) but to have your own gear truly crap out on stage is just classic!

Yea that was Gizmodo at CES this year, what a bunch of tools!
Turning off TV's on display was one thing but doing that during a presentation was just wrong!

kloneman 02-19-2008 09:32 PM

That's too funny. It reminds me of the (in)famous Windows 98 demo that failed during Spring 1998 Comdex, where Billy G and a minion helping him were embarrassed as a scanner was connected, resulting in a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Here's a link to the postage stamp sized video.
From CNN

10 years later, and they're still making crashware...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 11685)
I'm guessing heads will roll for this one!

Click the link & check out the video, it's kinda funny!
From Engadget

Microsoft gets RRoD at GDC

Just days ago, we heard that Microsoft's Xbox 360 failure rate was at a staggering 16-percent. Not helping Redmond's cause in making you believe otherwise, one of the hand-picked machines used at the 2008 Game Developers Conference was actually suffering from the infamous Red Ring of Death. Comedic gold? Yes, indeed.

For the non gamers GDC is the Game Developers Conference, one of the most important gatherings for the video game industry.
The RRoD is the "Red Ring Of Death" that's the 3 red lights that show up when the Xbox 360 has "ceased to function", this is the failure that caused the huge Billion dollar warranty extension that Microsoft had to give the Xbox 360.

What were they thinking leaving this dead box on the show floor!?
Did they not think it would be bad when the news camera started filming it?

Also the RROD was supposed to be a problem with first generation Xbox 360's, perhaps the problem hasn't been solved.