Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   MacBook Air: Hot stuff or Hot Air? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1492-macbook-air-hot-stuff-hot-air.html)

TheMoose 01-24-2008 07:24 PM

MacBook Air: Hot stuff or Hot Air?

Well Steve Jobs has spoken to the Apple army & has give them..............
The MacBook Air & it will sell like hot cakes!

There are a couple of versions.

1. Basic
* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 2GB memory
* 80GB 4200-rpm PATA hard drive1
* Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
$1,799.00

2. Loaded
* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 2GB memory
* 64GB solid-state drive1
* Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi2 and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
$3,098.00

The basic version seems to me to be , well, basic.
1 usb
no optical drive
no video output

The loaded version doesn't seem to have $1300 more features, I bet the solid state (flash?) is very fast & pretty cool but aren't they really just ultra portables?
Wouldn't the need for an external optical drive kind of make it less portable?

It is something I'm just not seeing?
I can see the benefit of a very small & lightweight laptop for travelers but wouldn't the $299 Asus Eee work for that as well?

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how this is worth $900-$2300 more than my 17" HP laptop.

I know there is some Mac guys here so maybe they could enlighten me.

kloneman 01-24-2008 11:18 PM

Re: MacBook Air: Hot stuff or Hot Air?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 10028)
Well Steve Jobs has spoken to the Apple army & has give them..............
The MacBook Air & it will sell like hot cakes!

The loaded version doesn't seem to have $1300 more features, I bet the solid state (flash?) is very fast & pretty cool but aren't they really just ultra portables?
Wouldn't the need for an external optical drive kind of make it less portable?

It is something I'm just not seeing?
I can see the benefit of a very small & lightweight laptop for travelers but wouldn't the $299 Asus Eee work for that as well?

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how this is worth $900-$2300 more than my 17" HP laptop.

I know there is some Mac guys here so maybe they could enlighten me.

I could probably qualify for that moniker, but I don't own anything more current than a 17 inch G4 laptop. I believe it to be more hot air, than hot stuff, since I consider it to be too "thin" on features for the price. For the list price, I want a larger screen, an optical drive - preferable BD R/W, and more connectivity options, including FireWire 800, and Gigabit Ethernet, and a media reader. How am I supposed to get my video into it do make those movies, like I do with my old reliable G4????

kennyt 01-25-2008 02:58 AM

It's cool as S#!T! No, it's not practical, but I would like the one with the flash drive.... Just can't buy one for that reason though, already have two laptops...

Robinson_A 01-25-2008 06:53 AM

The MacBook Air is an important computer for many reasons however, it's cost purely follows Apple's pricing model; get the early adopters in at a higher premium to qualify proof of concept then slash the price and really sell some SKU's. I would expect the MacBook Air to be substantially lower by year's end if this first run sells out (and it will).

Getting back to why the MacBook is important. It is one of, if not the first, major step towards a 'disc-less' culture. While we all ramble on about HD formats and such Jobs, again is putting his money where his mouth is and saying we're beyond formats and onto just straight content. The fact that the MacBook Air is basically a door to all things Internet and downloads furthers the business plan he already set in motion with iTunes and AppleTV. While any laptop today can essentially do what the MacBook air can do, none are as committed to the rapid on the go lifestyle as it is or committed to the future as it is. Truthfully, minus HD DVD's and Blu-rays I haven't used any sort of disc for any format in weeks.

Flash drives are important to because that's where the market is going and Jobs knows it. Hell, when I shoot commercials and stills it all gets recorded on Flash drives now. The MacBook Air is, again, a product to demonstrate proof of concept surrounding larger scale flash drives.

From a practical standpoint I think the MacBook Air makes absolute sense in a lot of ways beyond its size and weight. Someone said they'd like a bigger screen, well I tend to like my laptops smaller so I don't see a problem with its size. For me the key is going to be due to its thin demeanor will it hold up to stresses and the daily grind for my trusty 12-inch MacBook Pro is a WORKHORSE and will not die. If the MacBook Air can withstand the rigors of my life then I'll invest.

kennyt 01-25-2008 01:30 PM

Andrew,

I agree totally with you, and feel this is the first generation of what will likely be our future notebooks. Flash drives are smokin' cool, and the size factor? The thing looks like a magazine, not a laptop! I can't wait until they get released so I can go look at one and see how it really feels to use, I love the bigger track pad, I just hope the keyboard is usable.

You are so on the mark about the future and everything downloaded, soon optical drive likely will be gone and everything will just be networked and we can run our entire lives from our iPhones..... Wait, Andrew, don't you do that already??

Robinson_A 01-25-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 10084)
You are so on the mark about the future and everything downloaded, soon optical drive likely will be gone and everything will just be networked and we can run our entire lives from our iPhones..... Wait, Andrew, don't you do that already??

I can not yet run my whole life/system from my iPhone. I am working on it, however companies like Savant are making my dream more and more a reality. A few more tweaks and I should be closer to the promise land.