Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 01-18-2008   #1

Default The Perfect Vision is dead!

I got this message in my latest copy of The Perfect Vision.

Dear The Perfect Vision Readers,

The January 2008 issue will be the last issue of The Perfect Vision. As you may have noticed, we have been transitioning The Perfect Vision from a home theater magazine to a more comprehensive consumer electronics magazine. The response has been encouraging from both readers and advertisers. As our reader base has grown, we've realized that most consumers are interested both in home theater equipment and in the movies and music that the equipment is meant to optimize.

To maximize our coverage of the world of home entertainment, The Perfect Vision will merge with Playback, our newest online magazine, which offers extensive music and movie reviews, as well as reviews of home audio and theater equipment.

I'm surprised with the rapid growth of Home Theater that they are stopping publishing, I guess the market was getting saturated with magazines like Home Theater, Widescreen Review, Electronic House & others.

While I like 2 channel audio I have never been a big fan of "The Absolute Sound".
The whole magazine reminds me of those snooty high end stores.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #2

Default Re: The Perfect Vision is dead!

I like TAS, more so than Stereophile which sometimes seems way to far out there. I didn't check out TPV that closely this month, will have to look for that but not surprised, I haven't liked the changing focus of the mag towards general gadgetry.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I like TAS, more so than Stereophile which sometimes seems way to far out there. I didn't check out TPV that closely this month, will have to look for that but not surprised, I haven't liked the changing focus of the mag towards general gadgetry.
Alas, as a HTPC'r I have to agree with you. I love PC's but I also love speakers and amps. I get annoyed by gadgets (remotes, ipods, and the like) in a traditional two channel magazine. They have their rightful place - but when I pick up TAS or Stereophile (which has changed dramtically in the past 5 years) - I expect to see state of the art two channel stuff that I can only dream about. Or a breakthrough two channel product (like the Radio Shack true dipole Linaeum speakers some years ago) that I can actually afford and find.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #4

It's not actually dead. Playback has two sections, one for Music and one for gear. The gear section is still called The Perfect Vision, it's just combined with Playback. It is dead as a print magazine though.

I don't like one publication more than another, they are just different points of view - which is something I appreciate.
Old 01-19-2008   #5

Default I wouldn't say "Dead"!

I saw Mark Fischer at a party at CES. He and I go back for years and while The Perfect Vision isn't dead - it is being morphed into a music magazine which will be its own challenge considering how hard it is to get labels to spend to promote their music (trust me I know as I have tried - they expect everything for free)

Audiophile publications, although small in overall audited readerships (Sterophile at like 72k and TAS at 22k audited if I am not mistaken) are seeing spikes in popularity. I think this is a) because over-seas markets are powering sales because of the weak dollar and b) Baby Boomers are getting retirement money (long ago tied up) to play with as they age past 60 and 65. Many of these Boomers still dream of owning that Audio Research or Krell amp.

In the AV publishing space the booming publications are online yet the online pubs (AVRev.com included) struggle to create enough inventory to fill the ad orders from the big ad agencies. Unlike print, you can't just insert 4 more printed pages into an online mag. You actually need to have the eyeballs. With Google ad words like "loudspeaker" (thanks Gallo) costing over $1.00 per click - its not easy or cheap to find new readers but clearly people are looking for online readers with their spends.

Home theater is still a popular category but the consolidation of the industry has many once consumer friendly brands now looking more to the dealer chain as how they promote their product. Consumer demand still rules. Installers can "push" product but in NOW WAY matching when consumers are beating down the door for something innovative and hot.

Business to Business publications also are popular in the AV space. They have small readerships but are getting the spends because AV companies once again are looking to cut the consumer out of the decision more and more. Supposedly, you are just going to take the advice of an installer. For some, that is perfectly fine. For those reading a forum or getting informed - you will look to the Internet for the real deal on the best in AV.

Thus is the state of AV publishing.

j
Old 01-24-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
That is interesting kenny. Now, this goes back a little bit, when both TAS and Stereophile were paperback mags, I preferred Stereophile. Easier to read, a fresher perspective. Harry Pearson of TAS drove me crazy with his wildness. First, a review would be glowing. Then in 3 months, the equipment went to hell. Then by the end of the month, that same piece of equipment with a supposedly added tweak, now sounds better than the original review!!!!!!!!

Jerry and myself have had a few discussions about Mr. Pearson, not for me. Its been years since I`ve read TAS, so I do not know about now. And another thing was, that TAS reviewed all that esoteric gear. Fine, but really never reviewed gear that most could afford, even back then, Stereophile made an attempt.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2007, back, dvd, harry, issue, issues, lcd, list, magazine, pearson, perfect, reviews, super, vision, visionjanuary