Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 01-13-2008   #1

Angry Stop forcing consumers to watch DVD previews !

Over the holidays was at families and watched a few DVD's on their fairly new Sony Blu-ray player.
Some were rentals, and some purchased. Beside the odd rental with peanut butter on it, and one that looked fine but wouldn't play at all; the others popped up right away and then proceeded to FORCE us to sit thru their freakin previews. One I swear was pracitically ten minutes or better !
Trying fast forward or scan of course popped up "prohibited at this time".

I know this is a minor intrusion....but if I bought that disc I would be pretty ****ed off.
(and can't be returned except for exchange)
I'm sure other producers are considering, or have, commercials too, for that extra bit of revenue.

How can consumers force the manufacturers to :
a) make the previews/header fast forwardable.
b) indicate on the DVD case how long the preview/header is, and if it can be skipped.
m_a_simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #2

Default Re: Stop forcing consumers to watch DVD previews !

actually you can FF past these intros, but you must resume the process at each new film.

I admit it is a HUGE PITA, and furthers my cause that neither format will win until they offer convenience....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
actually you can FF past these intros, but you must resume the process at each new film.

I admit it is a HUGE PITA, and furthers my cause that neither format will win until they offer convenience....
It is dreadful, having to hit next on every add until you get to the movie! This is the other thing I like about htpc - with anydvd hd - I can get rid of the adds!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #4

I swear my brother tried the basic FF, SCAN buttons, and was prohibited.
I'll get him to try it again with a known disc to see if something odd, but I doubt it.

Told him I'll never buy Blu-ray or HD until its a recorder/player.
m_a_simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #5

kennyt,

Hm...That really isn`t to cool. You definitely should have a choice, whether you want to view them, or not.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #6

Thumbs down Re: Stop forcing consumers to watch DVD previews !

I like to watch the preview the first time I watch a disc to see what other movies I may be interested in. But, after the first time I really don't like the extra 10 minutes or so of wasted time. Some previews can be skipped or FF and some will not allow it. Big PITA!!! Should be at the end or only from the menu "Up Coming Releases" or something.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blueray, consumers, dvd, dvds, force, forced, forces, forcing, interrupt, preview, previews, purchased, stop, watch, windows