Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Stop forcing consumers to watch DVD previews ! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1445-stop-forcing-consumers-watch-dvd-previews.html)

m_a_simons 01-13-2008 06:10 PM

Stop forcing consumers to watch DVD previews !

Over the holidays was at families and watched a few DVD's on their fairly new Sony Blu-ray player.
Some were rentals, and some purchased. Beside the odd rental with peanut butter on it, and one that looked fine but wouldn't play at all; the others popped up right away and then proceeded to FORCE us to sit thru their freakin previews. One I swear was pracitically ten minutes or better !
Trying fast forward or scan of course popped up "prohibited at this time".

I know this is a minor intrusion....but if I bought that disc I would be pretty ****ed off.
(and can't be returned except for exchange)
I'm sure other producers are considering, or have, commercials too, for that extra bit of revenue.

How can consumers force the manufacturers to :
a) make the previews/header fast forwardable.
b) indicate on the DVD case how long the preview/header is, and if it can be skipped.

kennyt 01-13-2008 07:09 PM

Re: Stop forcing consumers to watch DVD previews !

actually you can FF past these intros, but you must resume the process at each new film.

I admit it is a HUGE PITA, and furthers my cause that neither format will win until they offer convenience....

prerich 01-13-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 9349)
actually you can FF past these intros, but you must resume the process at each new film.

I admit it is a HUGE PITA, and furthers my cause that neither format will win until they offer convenience....

It is dreadful, having to hit next on every add until you get to the movie! This is the other thing I like about htpc - with anydvd hd - I can get rid of the adds!

m_a_simons 01-14-2008 12:38 AM

I swear my brother tried the basic FF, SCAN buttons, and was prohibited.
I'll get him to try it again with a known disc to see if something odd, but I doubt it.

Told him I'll never buy Blu-ray or HD until its a recorder/player.

deacongreg 01-14-2008 01:46 PM

kennyt,

Hm...That really isn`t to cool. You definitely should have a choice, whether you want to view them, or not.

J.J. 01-14-2008 03:16 PM

I like to watch the preview the first time I watch a disc to see what other movies I may be interested in. But, after the first time I really don't like the extra 10 minutes or so of wasted time. Some previews can be skipped or FF and some will not allow it. Big PITA!!! Should be at the end or only from the menu "Up Coming Releases" or something.