Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   Is the recording industry trying to kill CD's? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1359-recording-industry-trying-kill-cds.html)

TheMoose 12-31-2007 07:50 AM

Is the recording industry trying to kill CD's?

What is the recording industry thinking?

In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

The industry's lawyer in the case, Ira Schwartz, argues in a brief filed earlier this month that the MP3 files Howell made on his computer from legally bought CDs are "unauthorized copies" of copyrighted recordings.

Hell most people buy CD's to rip them onto there hard drives so they can put them on thier iPods or stream them.

The RIAA can go F*** themselves if they think I'm not going to rip my legally purchased CD's onto my computer so I can stream them to my receiver or load them to a MP3 player.
Is there any other industry that trys this hard to P*** off their customers?

Lotus 12-31-2007 11:51 AM

Re: Is the recording industry trying to kill CD's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 8391)
What is the recording industry thinking?

In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

The industry's lawyer in the case, Ira Schwartz, argues in a brief filed earlier this month that the MP3 files Howell made on his computer from legally bought CDs are "unauthorized copies" of copyrighted recordings.

Hell most people buy CD's to rip them onto there hard drives so they can put them on thier iPods or stream them.

The RIAA can go F*** themselves if they think I'm not going to rip my legally purchased CD's onto my computer so I can stream them to my receiver or load them to a MP3 player.
Is there any other industry that trys this hard to P*** off their customers?

While I agree Howell also allowed people to download his songs.

He shouldn't be sued imho. He should be arrested.

Law Suits are doing nothing to stop piracy but put those people in jail and you just might get the message out there.

kennyt 12-31-2007 11:51 AM

I saw this today as well, maybe we can all bring our rigs to jail with us and maximize the acoustics of the concrete walls so we can listen to our actual CD's....

Unbelievable!

TheMoose 12-31-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus (Post 8413)
While I agree Howell also allowed people to download his songs.

He shouldn't be sued imho. He should be arrested.

Law Suits are doing nothing to stop piracy but put those people in jail and you just might get the message out there.

Then he should be in trouble for letting people download his songs however that's not the point of this thread, this is,

I see nothing wrong with ripping my CD's for my use.
I will not buy the same music 3 times so I can have the CD & a copy on my computer & MP3 player.

Lotus 12-31-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 8449)
Then he should be in trouble for letting people download his songs however that's not the point of this thread, this is,

I see nothing wrong with ripping my CD's for my use.
I will not buy the same music 3 times so I can have the CD & a copy on my computer & MP3 player.

Right but according to the article they don't really care about it unless the person is illegally giving copies away.

Still I agree it's an absurd statement on their part.

TheMoose 12-31-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus (Post 8463)
Right but according to the article they don't really care about it unless the person is illegally giving copies away.

Still I agree it's an absurd statement on their part.

Do you really think that if the judge agrees with them they would not start using that against everyone??
If the judge agrees that makes it wide open to use against everyone.

The RIAA is rapidly becoming the new KGB & Gestapo, if they give them an inch they will take a mile.

As an example Say some big wig in the industry like Jerry makes a big editorial on how bad the RIAA is for the recording industry, do you think for one second the next day they wouldn't be knocking on his door with a warrant for his computer & if he had any of his legally purchased CD's ripped to his hard drive that they would drag him to court because some judge made it possible by finding in thier favor on this case?