Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Posts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts-56/)
-   -   upcoming CES (http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/1174-upcoming-ces.html)

m_a_simons 12-04-2007 12:27 PM

upcoming CES

Make most CES shows, not all.
Was pretty shocked last nite when I was able to book 2 days at Hilton for $76/nite.
Even Mandalay Bay/THE Hotel was available, albeit at several times that price.

Has vegas gotten that overbuilt, or has recession actually hit ?

(typically I wait last minute, and always find something; coming from san diego its no big deal)

kennyt 12-04-2007 02:02 PM

Re: upcoming CES

I booked in early October and the best I got was the pImperial Palace for $136/night.

I would have gone higher end, but at a show like this I am lucky to spend 6 hours a day sleeping in my room! Now I would gladly pay extra for daily foot massages for all that damn walking!

m_a_simons 12-04-2007 09:33 PM

yep...its alot easier for convention ctr to the hilton, why I normally stay there.

the other convention buildings haven't enough attention....yet.

MoosePond 12-05-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_a_simons (Post 7068)
Make most CES shows, not all.
Was pretty shocked last nite when I was able to book 2 days at Hilton for $76/nite.
Even Mandalay Bay/THE Hotel was available, albeit at several times that price.

Has vegas gotten that overbuilt, or has recession actually hit ?

(typically I wait last minute, and always find something; coming from san diego its no big deal)

where'd you find that rate? our "broker" just found us rooms at the Flamingo at $150/night but the CES site shows nothing at either of those hotels still available and nothing at any hotel anywhere near $76. this will be my 37th straight year attending CES and I've always managed to find a convenient room but this year appears to be busier than most and there are far fewer hotel bargains than usual - somewhat surprising given the incredible increase in the number of rooms in Vegas compared to our first show there in the early 80s.

MoosePond 12-05-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 7071)
I booked in early October and the best I got was the pImperial Palace for $136/night.

I would have gone higher end, but at a show like this I am lucky to spend 6 hours a day sleeping in my room! Now I would gladly pay extra for daily foot massages for all that damn walking!

I've always though foot massages would be a highly lucrative business at trade shows, particularly those as large and spread out as CES; however, early in my career an old show veteran gave me a tip that's served me well over the years - every night when I get back to my hotel room I fill up a trash can with the hottest water I can stand and sit on the bed and soak my feet for about 15 minutes each - makes all the difference in the world in how they feel when you get up the next morning to begin another all day trek on the show floor

deacongreg 12-05-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoosePond (Post 7189)
I've always though foot massages would be a highly lucrative business at trade shows, particularly those as large and spread out as CES; however, early in my career an old show veteran gave me a tip that's served me well over the years - every night when I get back to my hotel room I fill up a trash can with the hottest water I can stand and sit on the bed and soak my feet for about 15 minutes each - makes all the difference in the world in how they feel when you get up the next morning to begin another all day trek on the show floor

Now, that is some really good information that we can all use.