Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Off-Topic Posts

Off-Topic Posts Want to vent about politics, your annoying neighbor or let people know about something funny you saw on You Tube? Here is the place to do so.

Old 12-02-2007   #1

Question Why do people dislike Firmware updates??

I'm seeing a lot of this here mostly in regards to Blu-Ray players & I don't understand the problem especially in this forum.

My system is rather modest in comparison to most on this forum but I have 3 pieces of gear that get regular firmware updates & I don't have a problem with that.

1. The Playstation 3.
I've gotten updates for the PS3 I'd guess about every 6 weeks since it's release, each one gave the PS3 new capabilities it didn't have when released or fixed some bug.
Not all were Blu-Ray related but many were & I can understand that because the Blu-Ray spec is still developing, I'm glad to get updates on it because that keeps it current & I don't have to replace it to get the benefits of the developing specs as they come out.
I wonder how many people will be complaining they have to get a new player to get the benefits of Blu-Ray version 1.1 while my PS3 only requires a firmware upgrade?

2. DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR.
As anyone who has had this box since it's release knows the monthly national firmware upgrades were at the beginning to fix the many bugs this receiver had, for the most part this is now a very reliable receiver thanks to those updates.
I have been getting firmware updates almost weekly as I am helping with the beta testing on these, it's a double edged sword.
While I get to play with new features before most people ( OTA antenna, remote booking, Video on demand, etc) some of these betas are very aggressive & can make it buggy again ( that's why it's a beta!!) we are early in the current cycle & I am anxiously waiting tonights download to fix some bugs in the last one!

But since this box can be updated we got it in home much earlier than would have been possible & are getting new functions on a regular basis.

DirecTV has the best update for Joe 6 Pack, it's done automatically when the receiver hasn't been used for a while, usually early in the morning.

3.Denon AVR3808ci.
Now this is my newest piece of gear so I don't have a lot of info on it's updates yet.
I haven't had it long but it has had 2 updates so far, I don't really know if they should have called updates or stealth updates though.
None of them has been "Officially" announced, they are redoing their website to allow for notification & explanation of the updates but right now you kinda have to search them out on your own.

My bottom line is this.
Firmware upgrades are a good thing!
It gives your equipment new capabilities it didn't have when you bought it & can correct any bugs that are present (& what piece of electronic gear doesn't have some kind of bugs?).
In the long run it saves you $$$$ on constantly upgrading your equipment & saves you headaches by fixing any bugs that pop up after a product has shipped.

Face it people, firmware upgrades have been around for a long time (windows updates, etc) & with the new gear being so complicated & new developments in specs & the fact that most of our gear is now connected to a computer, firmware upgrades are here to stay.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #2

Default Re: Why do people dislike Firmware updates??

Because unless the player or device is continuously connected to a source for the update it is impossible to expect the average consumer to do update their device.

My DVR gets updated constantly without even asking or telling me. My 360 tells me before a game is played. That's cool both are connected to a source (satelite, internet) all the time so it's not a big deal.

However most people don't have internet pulls to their TVs or DVD players. They don't have the wiring for it. So you shouldn't expect a player to need it.

Something like 25% of the Spiderman BDs were returned to Best Buy because "it won't play." I've heard larger numbers but I'll believe the 25%.

A firmware update is worse than a rebate. Something like only 30% of all rebates ever get turned in. Firmware updates on devices is much, much, much less than that. Being connected constantly to the internet helps.

I'd much rather a movie play in my machine and not need any updates at all.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #3

Moose,

I see your point, and take my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player for instance. Great machine, and yes the new firmware has added new features to it. That said, they are a PITA to do. For me, a MAC user, I need to download the file, copy it to a CD, go to the girls PC, open the file to extract it (only works on PC's) then burn a CD of the new file, back to the MAC where I have a DVD burner and copy that to a DVD. Then spent the fifteen or twenty minutes, which is hopefully NOT when the family wants to watch the new movie we just got, and go through the setup menus and restore my previous settings.

Now, I am used to hassles like this from playing with all kinds of new gear on a regular basis, that said, it's a PITA, if it bothers me, how many others just won't even be bothered??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Moose,

I see your point, and take my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player for instance. Great machine, and yes the new firmware has added new features to it. That said, they are a PITA to do. For me, a MAC user, I need to download the file, copy it to a CD, go to the girls PC, open the file to extract it (only works on PC's) then burn a CD of the new file, back to the MAC where I have a DVD burner and copy that to a DVD. Then spent the fifteen or twenty minutes, which is hopefully NOT when the family wants to watch the new movie we just got, and go through the setup menus and restore my previous settings.

Now, I am used to hassles like this from playing with all kinds of new gear on a regular basis, that said, it's a PITA, if it bothers me, how many others just won't even be bothered??
kennyt,You are right. And this is what I`ve been saying for a while. Its not about Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD. Though, it definitely seems Blu-Ray on average has more playback issues. Its about, why do we need to go thru this at all?? kennyt is right, it is a, an excuse me, a PITA, sorry, and some people will not want to be bothered, and, SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE!!

Lotus, your right to. Most people do not have wiring to their sets. Should we expect them to? If we did, it should not be for updates!! And, as crazy and unreliable, even in todays technological age, as computers are, I can`t say that I like the fact of marrying computers with my high end equipment. That just brings in a whole other can of worms. This is my opinion, or two cents.

So now we have what we have, consumers that are still confused, disenchanted, and wondering when this so-called great technology will get better and more user friendly.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #5

[QUOTE=Lotus;7005]Because unless the player or device is continuously connected to a source for the update it is impossible to expect the average consumer to do update their device.

My DVR gets updated constantly without even asking or telling me. My 360 tells me before a game is played. That's cool both are connected to a source (satelite, internet) all the time so it's not a big deal.

QUOTE]

If the manufacturers would make it as simple as leaving the device plugged into a phone line all night and the updates were automatic and the consumer had to do nothing or just hit a button "yes" or "no" to the update it wouldn't be a problem. The update on my satelite receiver and PS3 are no bother to me.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #6

Well like I said get used to firmware updates because more things are coming out every day that can be updated.

The latest is my Kenwood KDC-X991 car receiver.
At first it wouldn't control my iTouch but after a firmware upgrade it works great.

Get use to it guys, before long everything electronic will be firmware upgradeable.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
11, automatic, blueray, dvd, firmare, firmware, lotus, ondemand, play, players, unidisk, update, updates, upgrade, wont