Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players-14/)
-   -   Windows lossless & iPods (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players/904-windows-lossless-ipods.html)

TheMoose 10-18-2007 01:16 PM

Windows lossless & iPods

Since I can use my Denon AVR3808ci (as well as the PS3 & DirecTV HR20) to stream music from my computer I finally ripped all my CD's to the hard drive in windows lossless format.

I'm also finally thinking about getting an iPod (after Xmas when prices on the new ones drop) so when I'm traveling I can listen to my music without carrying a bunch of CD's.

The question is, can I transfer my CD's in windows lossless format to an iPod?
I'm not really going to be getting any downloads from iTunes because I like having the actual CD myself.
If I can't transfer the windows lossless what can I use to transfer it in lossless form?
Because if I'm getting an iPod I want all my music in lossless on it.

tigeraudio2007 10-22-2007 05:23 PM

Re: Windows lossless & iPods

iPods do not support WMA files. Only MP3, AAC, m4a, aiff, WAV, Audible.

I believe that through Windows iTunes you can do a batch convert of the WMA files to the ALAC format (m4a).

If you want lossless on your iPod I would recommend m4a if you can get it to work, or AIFF. WAV as a third option.

Sorry, but Windows doesn't play nice with the iPod. You can always go for a Creative Zen, Rio, or something. Especially if you are using just a PC and want the WMA support.

TheMoose 10-24-2007 01:27 PM

If iTunes will convert for me then I'll probably go that route, I just didn't want to have to rip every disc again.

Thanks!

TheMoose 01-20-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 (Post 4699)
I believe that through Windows iTunes you can do a batch convert of the WMA files to the ALAC format (m4a).

I just got a iPod Touch & it automatically put all my CD's in iTunes as MP3s!
I can't figure out how to convert them to ALAC or ACC.
Anyone got any help here because even I can tell the difference & I want the best quality possible.

prerich 01-20-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 4791)
If iTunes will convert for me then I'll probably go that route, I just didn't want to have to rip every disc again.

Thanks!

I perform all of my ripping the long way - I rip through Adobe Audition 3 but it gives me lossless audio.

kennyt 01-20-2008 01:26 PM

Moose,

Go into the preferences of iTunes and then importing, pick the compression you want. Problem is if you already imported them in a lossy (MP3) format then to see any benefit you need to re rip all your discs....