Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players

Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players From dedicated music servers to PCs for music to integrating your iPod - discuss everything about music servers here.

Old 06-03-2009   #1

Default Samsung LED / Custom Content?

(new to this forum & industry, please point me to correct category if necessary)

I'm attempting to develop a solution for an electronic tenant directory in an office building. Rather than simply displaying a static list on the screen, I'd like to create a listing with a ticker tape feature along the bottom displaying various messages.

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the Samsung LED tv's using their "Content Library" feature. I believe this feature displays Flash format multimedia files. If so, I'm curious to know if anyone has ever loading their own Flash files and displayed them on the tv?

Also, besides a computer, I'm curious to know if there are any small external devices that can plug into any tv and display Flash multimedia files? I checked into Apple TV, but it appears to display picture, movie, and audio files only.

Thank you,
Tim
tmallardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Samsung LED / Custom Content?

Welcome to the forum. If you would consider converting the flash files to another file type the WD TV player could be just the small device you are looking for. At 4"x5"x1.5" approx. it can be placed just about anywhere. It will use either a USB hard drive or a USB memory stick for the files. For more information see Western Digital TV HD Media Player.

Just curious, why flash video and not some other type?

I don't know about the Sammy feature.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #3

I am leaning towards Flash video because it can interface to external data. With this building directory project, a non techincal user could enter in tenant names via a simple web interface. The ideal solution for this project would be a wireless device that displays web content (Flash video) directly to the tv. AppleTV would be great if displayed web content in addition to A/V files.

I will now take a look at the Western digital device you mentioned.

Thanks so much for your reply.
tmallardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm attempting to develop a solution for an electronic tenant directory in an office building. Rather than simply displaying a static list on the screen, I'd like to create a listing with a ticker tape feature along the bottom displaying various messages.

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the Samsung LED tv's using their "Content Library" feature. I believe this feature displays Flash format multimedia files. If so, I'm curious to know if anyone has ever loading their own Flash files and displayed them on the tv?

Also, besides a computer, I'm curious to know if there are any small external devices that can plug into any tv and display Flash multimedia files? I checked into Apple TV, but it appears to display picture, movie, and audio files only.

Thank you,
Tim
I'll try this on my new Samsung and let you know how it works out. There are apparently several ways to get content into it - via USB memory stick or HD, via ethernet or wirelessly using a Samsung adapter. I could not tell what media formats were supported.

I would not rule out Apple TV, since QuickTime is very powerful. I made presentations in older versions Keynote and exported them to QuickTime, and also made movies using iMovie that had overlaid scrolling text. I believe the text can be positioned on the bottom with a free iMovie plugin set called Slick Sampler. There is a plug-in called "Breaking News..." that appears to do what you want. I've (hopefully) attached a file showing this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iMovie_with_Breaking_News_Plug-in.jpg (130.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by kloneman; 06-10-2009 at 08:28 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #5

Exclamation Re: Samsung LED / Custom Content?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
I'll try this on my new Samsung and let you know how it works out.
LED TV is a term used by Samsung to describe its line of LCD (liquid crystal display) TVsthat use LED backlighting.
LED-backlit LCD TVs do differ from conventional LCD TVs in some important areas:
1- They can produce a very bright image and deep blacks (doesn't work for Edge-LED
2- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim.
3- They can offer lower power consumption.
4- They can offer a wider colour gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.

Last edited by green1706; 08-11-2009 at 05:17 AM..
green1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #6
Super Moderator

Smile Re: Samsung LED / Custom Content?

I forgot to completely test the the content feature on my Samsung.

I have managed to connect the Samsung to my Local Area Network (LAN) using both a hardwire ethernet connection, and a connection through the HDMI. At one point I viewed the content supplied with the set, as well browsing the internet using the the set's built-in web browser. The built-in browser's resolution is not very high, as compared with browsers on person computers.

Last edited by kloneman; 08-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Add descriptive content
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, content, custom, external, file, files, harddrive, led, library, plasma, play, ray, samsung, tv, video