Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players-14/)
-   -   Western Digital TV HD Media Player (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players/3288-western-digital-tv-hd-media-player.html)

rbinck 04-09-2009 09:31 PM

Western Digital TV HD Media Player

You have mounted that new flat screen to the den wall and only made provision for a minimum of other electronics like a cable DVR and possibly a Blu-ray player. Certainly no room for a HTPC, but you have media files, photos and music that you would like to play using your flat screen, right? So what to do. Enter the Western Digital TV HD Media Player.

This little black box that measures only 8.3 x 7.4 x 3.8 inches and connects to your flat screen via a HDMI cable. Sorry no component video, but there is SD composite and stereo audio outputs. When connected via the HDMI the Western Digital TV HD Media Player supports up to 1080p video.

The unit comes with a remote control (IR) that must be used to control the player. There are absolutely no buttons on the unit, so the remote is the only way to navigate the menus and make selections. The Western Digital TV HD Media Player will play just about any video codec that you throw at it as well as display jpeg photos and play wav and mp3 music files as well as other types.

The files are retrieved via a disk drive attached to one of its two USB ports. When the unit is first powered up it will search any connected drives to find any media files present. Navigation allows for selecting folders or all files of a given file type, music, photos or videos.

Alternately a USB flash drive can be used instead of a hard drive. For my wife's unit I use a 16 GB flash drive rather than a hard disk. She is visually impared and has trouble reading the menus, so having only one or two movies on the stick is helpful for her. The thing I have found is the stick needs to be reformatted (quick format) each time rather than deleting files. If the stick is not formatted the video can be jerky, so I assume there is a defrag issue or something. Also the unit needs to be powered off and back on to force it to read the memory.

One of the drawbacks of the unit is the lack of LAN access. There are some hackers working on LAN access using a USB to ethernet adapter, but to date the software is not necessarily reliable. Care should be taken with these hack as you could end up with a brick!

I mainly use files recorded from my HTPC ATSC tuner or via my Hauppague 1212 HD capture box. Two hour movies take about 8-10 GB, so the 16 GB stick works very well. For a stand alone system a 1 or 2 TB drive may be the ticket, but be warned it takes a while for the unit to read all of that!

Here is a typical hookup diagram.
http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/im...D%20Wiring.jpg

While this unit may not be for everyone, at $99 to $110 street price it can solve issues where connecting a computer is not very practical.

clinthicum 04-20-2009 08:25 PM

Re: Western Digital TV HD Media Player

I'm successfully using a WD HD TV box connected to a Drobo (raid-like) external harddrive with about 1.8TB of storage (using three 1tB drives). I currently have about 400gb of movies on the storage device connected to the WD TV and then to my AV system using HDMI.

It works flawlessly and is a great alternative to similar products (like Popcorn Hour) that cost much, much more.

Western Digital has been updating the firmware for the WD TV as fixes and software tweaks are issued.

Give it a whirl !

rbinck 04-21-2009 08:10 PM

I find the WD player to work very well with a 16 gb stick as well as a USB hard drive. What are you using for the source of your files? My source is either a OTA tuner card or the Hauppauge 1212 capture box.

boomerpdx 04-23-2009 05:51 PM

I have been using my WD Media Player as a music server - converting my CD collection to lossless FLAC with Winamp. It lets me hold far more music in a smaller space than my trusty Sony 300 disc changer. The only downside I've found so far has been that album art does not appear to be recognized with FLAC format music files. But the WD Player recognizes both folders and playlists, so organizing and selecting can conform to whatever scheme you want to create for yourself. There is also a Toslink fiber optic connection, which makes for very good audio quality. For the price of the player and a 1 TB drive, I've got a very reasonably priced music server for my entire collection.

rbinck 04-23-2009 06:30 PM

Welcome to the forum boomerpdx.

If you put your family photos on the drive you can start a music folder then start a photo slideshow in another folder. Very cool. You could alternately have a photo drive plugged into the second usb port, as well.

Bob Walters 04-24-2009 05:00 AM

rbinck et als.,
I got the Western for other reasons............to store test patterns..........but I'm finding more & more thing to do with it!!!!!!!!!

rbinck 04-24-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Walters (Post 20525)
rbinck et als.,
I got the Western for other reasons............to store test patterns..........but I'm finding more & more thing to do with it!!!!!!!!!

Wow! That's a great idea for a calibration tech. The small WD player and a 16 GB flash stick and you are ready to go. Great application. I have used mine for karaoke also. Load my stick with the videos and head out to friends house with a karaoke setup. Also for parties, instant HD music videos. I collect these from my DVR using my Hauppague 1212 capture box.

gfonseca 04-25-2009 10:41 AM

This media player doesn't have an ethernet port or wireless capability... for me this is a deal breaker. I've had a Dlink Medialounge for about three years and it works without a glitch. I stream video through my ethernet network without any visible glitches. While the model I own doesn't support HD video, Dlink has newer models which do and also have USB ports...

rbinck 04-25-2009 01:22 PM

There are some people working on firmware to allow a USB to ethernet adapter to be used. So far they have a beta version, but it is not widely used enough for me to try it. I don't want to turn my player into a plastic brick.

You are not alone in your requirements. WD really didn't make this product for your application, that's for sure.

photogray 04-25-2009 07:36 PM

Thats a very cool setup, thanks for the tip

jmcamz2899 05-26-2009 08:03 AM

I ve been holding off getting one of these for a while, im waiting until someone can add usb external dvd support. I burnt a lot of my files onto some dual layer dvds because ur hard drive space can fill up real quick with 1080p files these days.

rbinck 05-26-2009 10:07 AM

Are these just files in computer video formats or are the DVDs formatted to play on a Blu-ray player?

jmcamz2899 05-26-2009 12:24 PM

all my files are in mkv format burnt as a data dvd

rbinck 05-26-2009 05:17 PM

Hmmm I'll have to try that sometimes. Seems to me if the DVD drive was in a USB box it should work. You know it dosen't?

hung2k 06-19-2009 01:44 PM

I bought WD HDTV box and could use the connection to play the video, music or picture on my LCD 1080p with a clear crisp quality. The only problem right now is when I played mts video with digital sound, it complained about the incompatible sound output and hence I could not hear any sound.

- I used only HDMI cable to my LCD, and could hear normal sound
- Sometime, after several tries switching setting of sound from Digital to Stereo, I could hear the sound from one movie I'm struggling to set. And that movie only, no other movies could have sound.
- And after I switched everything off, the next time when I opened it, the problem came back, no sound for any mts2 movies even with one that I could hear the previous time!

Any hint to solve this annoyance is really appreciated
Thanks
Hung

rbinck 06-19-2009 01:59 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Couple of things come to mind. One, have you updated the firmware to the latest? Two, you might try changing the file ext to .ts and see if it plays. If not then you need to upgrade. If it does play then it may solve the issue because since the .ts files can be mpeg2 or h.264 the player has to look closer at .ts files. Worth a shot anyway.

vdakker 06-27-2009 09:12 AM

Just bought it, looks nice, but all my movvie filies are stored in groups and th player is reading it in alfabetic order.
Can I change this? thanks

rbinck 06-27-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdakker (Post 21499)
Just bought it, looks nice, but all my movvie filies are stored in groups and th player is reading it in alfabetic order.
Can I change this? thanks

The only way I know is to add a number at the front of the file name.

ubj007 07-16-2009 04:02 AM

I'm wondering whether the WD TV HD Media Player can play (m3u or other) playlists with MIXED formats, particularly, jpg and avi from the digital camera. Did anyone try this?

rbinck 07-15-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubj007 (Post 21688)
I'm wondering whether the WD TV HD Media Player can play (m3u or other) playlists with MIXED formats, particularly, jpg and avi from the digital camera. Did anyone try this?

The way playlists are done is by putting the files desired in a folder on the disk or memory stick. All of the files in the folder will be played or displayed.

I can't speak to every file extensions, but I have mixed different file types such as mpeg2 (mpg) and h.264 (m2ts) without any problems.

You can't mix jpg photos with video files, but you can start a mp3 folder then move to a photo folder.

Ceeder 11-08-2011 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! I'm wondering if someone has tried to modify WDTV's interface with graphic thumbnails making it to show covers and backgrounds?
I've bought this player recently and began to dig into customization. Found a method to create a graphic catalog with covers and info about the films using special program, called 'Movienizer', which is movie cataloger. Simply set up the alternative firmware, download info and covers with the program, form the thumbnails in it and the result is in the attachment.

What would you say?

rbinck 11-08-2011 06:48 AM

That looks pretty nice. Will it work on the WD TV Live as well?

Ceeder 11-08-2011 06:58 AM

Of course it will!:)
I've created this on my WDTV Live with b-rad's firmware and Movienizer cataloger on my PC.
If someone would be interested I can share my method of creating such thing:cool:

rbinck 11-08-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeder (Post 28618)
Of course it will!:)
I've created this on my WDTV Live with b-rad's firmware and Movienizer cataloger on my PC.
If someone would be interested I can share my method of creating such thing:cool:

I'm sure that would be useful. I may try it myself.

Ceeder 11-09-2011 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Firstly, you should decide whether you want to install alternative (unofficial) firmware or not. You can roll back to the standard official firmware whenever you like though. The alternative firmware allows you to show backgrounds with movie info (like on my screenshot) and a lot of other stuff on your TV. Without it you will be able to see only covers of your movies instead of video file or folder icon (which is also great). So for the best experience I'd recommend installing the alternative firmware, it does no harm, but extends your player's abilities.

The web adress of the alternative firmware that is needed for such customization is on the screenshot in the attachment (Sorry, I am not able to post links until I make 5 posts)

Download this one: "1.02.21_WDLXTVCOM_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.3.1.zip"

Before the setup simply open and edit in Notepad the "wdtvlive.ver" file and change the version number there to any value higher than your current firmware version number. This is needed for your WDTV to start updating.
Save changes and proceed to the "S00custom-options" file. Open it as well and add these strings in the end:
config_tool -c SHOW_FILESIZE_SETTING=0
config_tool -c MSHEETMODE=sheet
config_tool -c VIDMSHEET=ON
config_tool -c GENMSHEET=ON
config_tool -c LISTMSHEET=ON

Now simply copy all modified and unmodified files of the firmware to the root of your flash stick or hard drive and plugit in WD TV. Accept the firmware update.

After the firmware installation you can try creating a catalog with Movienizer (you can google it easily). The program is intuitive and rather useful even if your'e not going to use WDTV. It's a movie cataloger that automatically searches and downloads info about your movies from the net (IMDb and other resources) thus forming a catalog of your film collection. Add some movie, download info and covers for it in the program and click "Tools" - "Create covers for WDTV".
Now if you browse to the folder with video file in it you'll see the similar view like on my screenshot.

Pia Hudspeth 01-05-2012 07:26 PM

sharing this.

thor1 05-30-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfonseca (Post 20557)
This media player doesn't have an ethernet port or wireless capability... for me this is a deal breaker. I've had a Dlink Medialounge for about three years and it works without a glitch. I stream video through my ethernet network without any visible glitches. While the model I own doesn't support HD video, Dlink has newer models which do and also have USB ports...

the wd live hd media player has ethernet port works greath.