Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players

Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players From dedicated music servers to PCs for music to integrating your iPod - discuss everything about music servers here.

Old 10-03-2008   #13

Default Re: Apple TV and iPod touch

I just downloaded the remote app for iphone and added an airport express to my network. The express is in my main system downstairs in the house. It's amazing. I can access my entire itunes library as well as play internet radio in another area of the house with very acceptable sound for casual listening. It's not as good as listening to an SACD playing directly in the system but it's a heck of a lot better than any FM broadcast around here. Plus the app is free! I am amazed at how easily the whole set up went together.
larrycsmith@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #14

sooloos? all that is is a touch screen to a itunes look alike screen. (check out version 8 of itunes. same screen with more additional configurations plus you also get the Genius sidebar). i have convinced a couple of people to go with a music server setup like mine over purchasing qsonix or sooloos systems. sooloos and others including an itunes server sound like crap without going thru an external dac and for the best sound using a jitter reduction device before the dac.

my setups have included multi-terabytes of NAS configured as raid 5, backup storage, mac mini, jitter device, external dac, good quality cables, apple tv's or airport express devices or even separate mac minis (used older g4 types is all you need) depending on if you need multi source or not, and an ipod touch to control from anywhere in your home, all for 1/3 the price of a standard sooloos configuration. a similar sooloos setup with the same amount of NAS storage, jitter device and the same external dac, would cost in the low $20k range.

if you do it correctly, you can have a music server sound every bit as good as an audiophile cd player.
rs350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #15
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs350z View Post
sooloos? all that is is a touch screen to a itunes look alike screen.

my setups have included multi-terabytes of NAS configured as raid 5, backup storage, mac mini, jitter device, external dac, good quality cables, apple tv's or airport express devices or even separate mac minis (used older g4 types is all you need) depending on if you need multi source or not, and an ipod touch to control from anywhere in your home, all for 1/3 the price of a standard sooloos configuration. a similar sooloos setup with the same amount of NAS storage, jitter device and the same external dac, would cost in the low $20k range.

if you do it correctly, you can have a music server sound every bit as good as an audiophile cd player.
I could not agree more Sooloos is for people who buy Kalediescape!!!

Beside an Apple TV or Imac you can also get an HP TouchSmart IQ816
http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...reg_R1002_USEN
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #16

Default Re: Apple TV or Sooloos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Let me see Apple TV $229 vs Sooloos System price: $13,000? Hum let me see free i tune with Apple TV and connectivity with all your music and video? Which would you choose
The name sounds kinda like Sooolooooser
DaveLadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #17

I have been loading a lot more CDs of different varieties, and based on more data, it looks like I'm going to be able to get around 500 CDs in Apple lossless format loaded to the 160g Apple TV.

Also, I have had a chance to mess around a little more with the remote app of the iPod Touch, and it gets a even better.

I have an Apple TV in my home theater, an airport express "mini toslink to full toslink wire" connected to a Benchmark DAC1 in a small listening system, a second Apple TV connected to another Benchmark DAC1 in my main listening system. As mentioned before, I have 3 Airport extremes and 2 airport expresses operating as 1 virtual network (standard Apple functionality).

I had iTunes up on my Macbook Pro. When I went to "setup" in the remote app on my touch, I noticed that my iTunes "session" showed up as a device that I could switch to. I chose it and discovered that it also acts as a remote control for the iTunes on my computer. I could browse the library on my computer and play any songs on it the same way as it controls an AppleTV. But the really cool part is that I could control what devices I wanted the music to play from in my iTunes session on my MAC. I could REMOTELY select to play through any combination of my 2 AppleTVs or Airport Express. I even streamed to all three of them at the same time.

For those that are familiar with iTunes, you know that you have been able to do that for a while. But, to REMOTELY do it all through a free app on an iPod Touch really astounds me. All I have to do is turn my computer on, bring up iTunes, and it becomes a whole house server that I can control through my ipod Touch from anywhere in the house. How flippin' cool is that?

Thus far, I have had no issues streaming Apple lossless music through any 3 of the devices, but the 3 airport extremes and 2 airport expresses create such a strong "field" throughout my entire house that I wouldn't be surprised if I'm also "bending time" in some fashion.

Oh, by the way, the app works on the iPhone as well.

Last edited by HT Junky; 10-04-2008 at 10:09 PM..
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #18

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the upgrades to Apple TV?
I haven't purchased any movies yet but they claim HD 720 5.1 digital Surround.
The content on You-Tube by some sources is quite good.

As for sound I haven't tried that out.
Just HDMI for now.

P.S. as for the drive connected to the apple TV you can see network drives if configured though your mac and performance for library search and access is fast.
filterxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
apple, audio, connect, control, display, drive, hook, house, ipod, itouch, nas, network, stereo, streaming, touch, tv, video