Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players

Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players From dedicated music servers to PCs for music to integrating your iPod - discuss everything about music servers here.

Old 09-18-2008   #7

Default Re: Apple TV and iPod touch

I have the 1TB Time Capsule, 2 Airport Extremes an Airport Express and the Apple TV. The Time Capsule is an Airport extreme with a 1TB drive that can be "shared" to all computers on the network (a network drive).

The Time Capsule, 2 Airport Extremes and the Airport Express all work (using standard Apple setup functionality) as 1 big "virtual" network. The Time capsule and Airport Extremes have 3 ethernet ports on them. I put one of them behind my home theater and connect my Apple TV, receiver and Playstation 3 to it.

I wouldn't have to connect the Apple TV to it, as t is wireless, but I hardwired it in, ecause I have the port right there.

I store Apple lossless music on the 1TB drive, connect to it through iTunes and can stream "live" to the Apple TV. What you cannot do (which is what you are refering to, Wes) is have the Apple TV store its library on the 1TB time capsule (or any other external drive).

I can stream to it or sync it to my Apple TV. When you sync it, though, it stores another copy on the Apple TV's internal storage.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #8
wes

Cool Re: Apple TV and iPod touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Junky View Post
I have the 1TB Time Capsule, 2 Airport Extremes an Airport Express and the Apple TV. The Time Capsule is an Airport extreme with a 1TB drive that can be "shared" to all computers on the network (a network drive).

The Time Capsule, 2 Airport Extremes and the Airport Express all work (using standard Apple setup functionality) as 1 big "virtual" network. The Time capsule and Airport Extremes have 3 ethernet ports on them. I put one of them behind my home theater and connect my Apple TV, receiver and Playstation 3 to it.

I wouldn't have to connect the Apple TV to it, as t is wireless, but I hardwired it in, ecause I have the port right there.

I store Apple lossless music on the 1TB drive, connect to it through iTunes and can stream "live" to the Apple TV. What you cannot do (which is what you are refering to, Wes) is have the Apple TV store its library on the 1TB time capsule (or any other external drive).

I can stream to it or sync it to my Apple TV. When you sync it, though, it stores another copy on the Apple TV's internal storage.
Thanks that is what I thought, streaming is fine unless you have uncompressed music the files are too big 30MB per song and that doesn't stream very well! So I will wait until the apple TV comes out with 1TB hopefully at the next Mac World.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #9

First, let me say, that I myself have not used one personally, however, from what I have read, the new Sooloos music server, looks to be the answer for those of us that want to listen to all our music, when and how we want to. And while you all are talking about Apple`s I - Touch, the I - Touch can be used as a remote control with the Sooloos.

Very cool.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #10
wes

Question Apple TV or Sooloos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
First, let me say, that I myself have not used one personally, however, from what I have read, the new Sooloos music server, looks to be the answer for those of us that want to listen to all our music, when and how we want to. And while you all are talking about Apple`s I - Touch, the I - Touch can be used as a remote control with the Sooloos.
Let me see Apple TV $229 vs Sooloos System price: $13,000? Hum let me see free i tune with Apple TV and connectivity with all your music and video? Which would you choose
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #11

I purchased a second AppleTV over the weekend. I had the 40g, so I picked up a 160g. I know that 160g doesn't sound like much, but it looks like I will get 400+ Apple lossless ALBUMS on it.

I have a large CD library, but I have to tell you that I'm having a heck of a time finding 400+ CDs that would want to load and listen to.

It more that satisfies me at this time. Also, loading 400+ CDs takes an incredible amount of time.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #12

The missus bought me an Apple TV awhile back that I'm finally gonna hook up this afternoon in our home theater. We're a 2 Mac household (MacBook Pro and iMac) with an Airport Extreme, 2 iPods and an iPhone so this should be a relatively easy and painless install. Will report back how I like it and how well the iPhone "remote" application works with it.

Tags
apple, audio, connect, control, display, drive, hook, house, ipod, itouch, nas, network, stereo, streaming, touch, tv, video