Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players

Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players From dedicated music servers to PCs for music to integrating your iPod - discuss everything about music servers here.

Old 06-11-2007   #7

Smile Re: Is the iPod too lo-fi for you?

Well, this might help. MusicGiants are now using High Definition Downloads. They claim the sound quality is equal to cd. It is an uncompressed digital file, not like compressed Mp3 files. The High Definition download is encoded in the Loseless WMA (Windows Media Audio) format. These downloads reproduce music up to 1100 kpbs versus the 128 to 192 kpbs of other download services.
Check them out.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #8

Default Re: Is the iPod too lo-fi for you?

If one must, then good IEM's like the Ety's mentioned above, in conjunction with a DAP like iAudio X5 using files encoded in FLAC. I don't think that Music Giants files, although great sounding, can be played back on any DAP's.
iPod's are definately out though.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #9

My ipod sounds like crap. Even though I ripped most of my must with iTunes at a pretty high rate for AAC - it still sucks wind compared to my ReQuest at home.

I did get some new headphones from Ultimate Ears (the UE10's) that are pretty high end but when the custom molds came back - they were REALLY painful. I sent them back for new molds to be made. The UE10's are what a lot of top performers are using on stage these days and have a three way speaker system in them. From what I could tell they sound REALLY clean. My Etimotyics KEPT breaking. The UE's have WAY more sound deadening but might be a pain to remove when the flight attendant comes by and says "would you like another scotch, sir"
Old 08-03-2007   #10

FWIW I wouldn't want to do a road trip without my iPod, lower quality is tolerable as long as I can listen to something that I want to hear....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
My ipod sounds like crap. Even though I ripped most of my must with iTunes at a pretty high rate for AAC - it still sucks wind compared to my ReQuest at home.

I did get some new headphones from Ultimate Ears (the UE10's) that are pretty high end but when the custom molds came back - they were REALLY painful. I sent them back for new molds to be made. The UE10's are what a lot of top performers are using on stage these days and have a three way speaker system in them. From what I could tell they sound REALLY clean. My Etimotyics KEPT breaking. The UE's have WAY more sound deadening but might be a pain to remove when the flight attendant comes by and says "would you like another scotch, sir"
That sounds good Jerry. Hopefully now you have solved your headphone issue. And, I`m sure the good folks at Headroom, took good care of you. I`m interested to see how you will like those custom molds when they come back. My ENT doctor told me my ear canal is a little small, so I`ll stick with the conventional types. I`m to afraid that even after the custom mold, once they go in, I will not be able to get them out!!!
Old 08-03-2007   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
FWIW I wouldn't want to do a road trip without my iPod, lower quality is tolerable as long as I can listen to something that I want to hear....
You know kennyt, I `ve kinda taken a deaf ear to Apples unit. My stepson`s friends don`t even seem interested in listening to the music for long periods of time. But rather, try to impress each other about how many songs they have on it. Not for listening of course, but I got 100, you only have 74.

What!! but I have come to realize that its a great archival or storage tool. So, I may break down and get one. But the days of getting excited about purchasing you next LP, reading the liner notes, looking at the artwork, talking to knowledgeable people at Tower Records (now closed) about the music we all love, and they knew about it and loved it also are gone.

How many people do you know, with the exception of us, are waiting to get home from work, eat, take a nice shower, sit in front of your system, and listen to music for a couple of hours? I bet, no one!! These are the times we live in.

Maybe I`ll get one so I can have access to all my soul ballads, Delfonics, Stylistics, Dramatics, then Stanley Clarke, Al Dimeola, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Han****, Rare Earth, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Chicago, Santana, Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin, you get the picture.
For this reason, I`m considering getting one.

Especially, since my deejay years are behind me. I could make some interesting playlists.

Now, is any of this music on I - tunes kennyt?
Sponsored Links

Tags
disc, dock, etytomics, fi, ipod, likecrap, lofi, low, music, put, revolution, sound, sounds, ue10s, uncompressed