Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players-14/)
-   -   Slim Devices Squeeze Box & Slimp3 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players/192-slim-devices-squeeze-box-slimp3.html)

clinthicum 06-18-2007 09:21 AM

Slim Devices Squeeze Box & Slimp3

I was surprised to see a category for MP3 players and Music Servers with no existing thread for the Slim Devices' products called Squeeze Box and Slimp3.

Recently purchased by Logitech, Slim Devices has one of the most intuitive hardware/software MP3 players on the market. Affordably priced, the unit is flexible and built upon feedback from prior users. Wirelessly enabled on a local network, it can share music stored on a home computer and distribute it across a digital audio output to a main amplifier and whole house speakers.

It's even capable of mating up with other Slimp3 or Squeeze Boxes throughout the house, so they are sychronized. Unlike other products that only work by themselves, limited to just one (1) device.

Check it out at www.slimdevices.com

fourwalls 06-18-2007 09:35 AM

Re: Slim Devices Squeeze Box & Slimp3

i dont have a computer at home and i dont wont one all i wont is a component that will hold all my music and play it thru my av system. for a good price. $500 - $800 but i dont thank i and get one for that cheap.

Brian 07-05-2007 09:30 AM

Chris,
While I am not familiar with the Slimp3, I am familiar with the the Slimserver software and the Squeeze Box and Transporter hardware, a review of which is forthcoming. While I don't want to say too much now before the review runs, I can say that if you are willing to have a server running the Squeeze Box is a fairly simple, low cost and easy to use option for a music server.

For those who do not want to have a computer type server running, the leading options at this time would be Request and Escient, although there are many others coming to market such as the Olive and McIntosh. This is a field that is going to become crowded with options which will hopefully fuel the competition.
Brian

Pellicle 07-06-2007 07:38 AM

I use the SqueezeBox 3 units and Transporter with a NAS box running SlimServer. I have all my music encoded in FLAC.

I am quite happy with this system. It is very unobtrusive and reliable.

For selecting music I can use the SB3 interface with a remote or use the Slimserver web interface. I use both depending on where I am. The SS web interface is accessible thru a Nokia 770 Internet tablet. If I am in the office I access thru my PC.

I am visually oriented so I like the ability to browse album covers and the web interface allows this.

Another great feature is the ability to sync all players. So I can have the same music playing without the annoying echo non synchronized players have. Great for whole house use. If someone wants a different selection then for any unit you can play it independently.

faberryman 07-06-2007 09:38 AM

What NAS are you using?

Pellicle 07-06-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberryman (Post 1081)
What NAS are you using?

I am using the Thecus N5200.
I picked this unit for several reasons.

Thecus uses a low powered Pentium M. Other consumer level NAS boxes typically use a ARM processor or some other processor meant for embedded
applications. The Pentium M is significantly more powerful and can handle such additional applications as decoding compressed music, streaming and web serving. Mine is a 800mhz unit and I find it very responsive with the SS software.

Because of the more powerful processor the Thecus is faster at file serving than other consumer NAS boxes. I also use large data ( multi-Gig) files for my work. The faster file serving is important to me. It also has Gigabyte LAN and actually exceeds what 100 MHz Ethernet can handle.

It has Raid capability including Raid 0,1,2,5,6,10,and JBOD. Iuse Raid 5 and currently have 3 500Gig drives giving me 1Tb and room for two more drives which would bring me to 2Tb with the ability to 4tb with the latest drives. I use this for backup of other computers I have.