Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players

Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players From dedicated music servers to PCs for music to integrating your iPod - discuss everything about music servers here.

Old 06-08-2007   #1

Thumbs up Onkyo NC-500

I bought the Onkyo NC-500 NetTune music server when it came out a few years ago. Software runs on my "always on, Uncle Bill willing" computer, and the Onkyo hangs off a hub hooked up to a switch (all at 100mbs). I used some ancient ripping software (Audio Catalyst, only seems to run on my W98 box) that would let me merge side 2 of Abbey Road into a single track. Anyway, I have all 500 of my CDs on a Raid-1 (mirror) configuration, as well as other things I have picked up along the way.

The file format was easy to figure out, and I have a VB6 program that lets me manage the lists a little better than what Onkyo supplied.

The display is now dead, so I have to use its video out through the Reciever, and to my TV to control it.

I don't use its AM/FM capabilities, and its Internet stations were too inconsistent. Perhaps I'll re-visit this in the future.

I keep reading the reviews for media servers, and also redundant NAS, but nothing seems worth it to me..... yet.
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #2

Smile Re: Onkyo NC-500

Just to follow-up. The Onkyo went out on ebay a couple of months ago (full disclaimer about the dead display). Shortly after the post, I purchased a ReadyNAS NV+ from Infrant Technologies for all my redundant data storage needs. With the TwonkyMedia software, I pump whatever is on "Freddy" to my Denon AVR3808ci.

Life is good!
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
500, buy, music, nas, nc, nc500, net, nettune, onkyo, readynas, sale, server, servers, software, tune