Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music/Video Servers & MP3 Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players-14/)
-   -   IPod in your car. (http://www.avrev.com/forum/music-video-servers-mp3-players/1000-ipod-your-car.html)

TheMoose 11-07-2007 09:19 AM

IPod in your car.

How do you use your iPod in your car?
Did you hard wire your factory stereo, Get a iPod compatible after market head unit (what brand & model number?) or do you use the FM dongle??

I've decided to get an iPod when the after Xmas price drop hits so I don't have to carry around a bunch of CD's when I travel.
I've learned there are 3 basic ways to use your iPod in your car (or Truck in my case!) not including the illegal & dangerous practice of using ear buds while driving.

Since quality is high on the priority list it looks like the FM dongle is the worst choice according to people I've talked too, I've found out a company makes an adapter for my stock radio that uses the CD controls for around $150 installed but for a couple of hundred $ more I can get a new Pioneer head unit that will control the iPod & has a view screen so your not blind while controlling it.

I'll most likely spend the extra for a iPod ready head unit because it'll be the most bang for the buck but I was wanting to hear how others are using their iPod while driving & how they like their choice & if they would do it differently next time.

tigeraudio2007 11-07-2007 10:14 AM

Re: IPod in your car.

Definitely stay away from the FM transmitter. Very unreliable. Cuts out all the time. Quality is subpar, generally only as good as the strength of the radio signal. (ie: wouldn't do you very much good if you were driving in the middle of nowhere through the desert or something).

There is also the proverbial TAPE method (assuming that your head unit still has a tape deck), in which you use one of those cassette tapes to 1/8" mini stereo plug. Also subpar.

Your best bet is the new head unit. The new unit will allow for proper connection of the ipod with in-dash video capabilities. If you want quality this is the why I would go. I hardly ever use the ipod in the car, except for several hour long roadtrips, that I use the TAPE option.

kennyt 11-07-2007 10:44 AM

My Honda Element has a mini jack in and I use it to that. I agree avoid the FM transmitters, I had three of them, all work poorly and frequently get interrupted. Tape works for my wife for audio books, as for audio, I have no personal experience so I can't comment.

FWIW I prefer to just grab the iPod, so an integrated unit that controlled my iPod wouldn't help me much....

Hey Moose... What happened to the no MAC gear for this PC guy.... Watch out... it's a slippery slope!

Once you go MAC, you'll never go back!

deacongreg 11-07-2007 02:22 PM

Definitely the new head unit. You have complete control, better sound, and everything is at your disposal. And, less compromises.

J.J. 11-07-2007 02:26 PM

Are there any "better" devices than the ipod that have a large enough HD to use as a portable server in your car and home systems?

TheMoose 11-14-2007 03:06 PM

Anyone have any suggestions on a good head iPod ready unit?
So far I've been looking at these,
Kenwood KDC-X791
Sony CDX-GT710
Alpine CDA-9885
Pioneer Premier DEH-P690UB

They are all about the same price but it's been a long time since I've checked in to car audio so if any one has any suggestions I'm listening!