Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > ModernHomeTheater.com System Tours

ModernHomeTheater.com System Tours Comment on the homes featured on ModernHomeTheater.com.

Old 09-13-2007   #7

Default Re: Star Trek Themed theater

Gary,

I thank you so much for taking up my offer to join AVRev.com forum. Your theater is truly impressive and not just because of its DIY status. With the growing interest in home theater I feel DIY enthusiasts like yourself only help to fuel the trend, esspecially when folks are able to see what is possible with a little elbow grease.

When did you start and complete the project? May I ask your budget? Have you had any requests to re-create your home theater for someone else? Any plans to upgrade, and lastly, what gear are you using in your theater.

Thanks again for joining us at AVRevForum

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #8

WOW!!!!

That's a DIY project??

Gary, want to do my room??

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #9

Hi Jerry,

I live in the western suburbs just outside Downingtown.

-Gary.
TheBridgeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #10

Andrew,

The theater took me two years to build, mostly working just weekends with a couple of evenings. That includes everything from studding the walls to final finish. Only the carpeting was handled by professionals (Home Depot).

Here is a before picture of the space looking towards the screen.

Here is an after picture, same view.

I budgeted about $15K for the whole project. I had some of the equipment in use already in the family room so that saved me some bucks. To see all the latest gear in the theater, go to this link: http://www.reighn.com/theaterequip.html. I would like to upgrade to a 1080 projector once they come down a little in price. I also plan to buy and DH DVD player once Transformers comes out!

Occasionally I get an email asking if I would be interested in doing something similar for someone. I am not really able to do that given my day job. I am also not an acoustical engineer which you would probably want if you were paying someone for a theater.

The Bridge has been featured in a magazine (Electronic House), a book (Manspace), the local Phila Inquirer newspaper and on TV on the HGTV show 'Look What I Did'. The interest in it has amazed me and I never expected so much.

I'm really glad my little project may inspire others to try something fun and unique. As you said with a little elbow grease, you can do a lot.

Thanks.

-Gary.
TheBridgeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #11

You own a great theater that is SURE to add value to your home.

j
Old 09-14-2007   #12

As for a 1080p projector - look into the new Epson for like $3000. I was off the carts good at CEDIA.

The JVC D-ILA is also good. The Pearl replacement looked strong. Meridian has a cheaper one now. There is ALWAYS Runco who's price is now a little lower and they are ALWAYS a top performer.

j
Sponsored Links

Tags
2007, audio, control, diy, home, panels, room, sound, star, system, theater, theme, tour, transporter, trek