Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 10-29-2007   #1

Red face Naming of hard drives

We have a LONG STANDING tradition of naming hard drives here at AVRev.com.

We have cycled through most of the names in the Simpsons, Spinal Tap and The Sopranos.

Right now I have drives named - Johnny Sack, Mich Shrimpton and Doug Llewelyn (the reporter from The People's Court).

On a Mac you can cut and past a gif from say Photoshop or Image Ready and click the drive ONCE. You then hit APPL+I for "get info" and single click the drive icon in the upper left corner. You can then APPL=V "paste" the image onto the drive so that if you want a head shot of Ronnie James Dio on your so-called drive - you can have it.

Now THAT is PC Convergence!!!!
Old 10-30-2007   #2

Default Re: Naming of hard drives

I went through a phase were I customized a lot of my icons, I still have one I use for my hard drives that I can't seem to paste into this forum of a HD with a blue circle, large wrench and a blue lock on it, it's super cool but no where near as cute as the Penguin icon I use for my laptops HD.... Why a penguin? No idea but it's cute!

I think you need a Ron Jeremy Hard Drive, for the one that gets the most use!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #3

I'm more practical, i name them depending on the content (win, backup, media, audio, movies etc)
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #4
Super Moderator

Hehe, way better than "C:\"

I have run into some problems with naming conventions, since I own Macs and SGI Irix unix systems, and I use similar systems at work, but have to sometimes exchange data with M$ Windows.

Today, I had a Mac folder with a name similar to "old->new" that had folders and files in it. I copied this onto a memory stick and brought it to the work PC for transfer to the Work SGI. (The SGI can't read flash drives, and I'm not permitted to connect the Mac to the SGI via a network)

The folder name represented some data for a conversion that was "in work". This name works just fine on the Mac, but when I FTP'd the directory to the SGI from a Windows PC, the ">" character in the name was changed to a "?" and the files and folders where not present. When I went back to the original folder on the Mac and named it "old-2-new", the process worked as expected and the files were accessible. I did not spend the time determining which system PC or SGI was getting tripped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
We have a LONG STANDING tradition of naming hard drives here at AVRev.com.

We have cycled through most of the names in the Simpsons, Spinal Tap and The Sopranos.

Right now I have drives named - Johnny Sack, Mich Shrimpton and Doug Llewelyn (the reporter from The People's Court).

On a Mac you can cut and past a gif from say Photoshop or Image Ready and click the drive ONCE. You then hit APPL+I for "get info" and single click the drive icon in the upper left corner. You can then APPL=V "paste" the image onto the drive so that if you want a head shot of Ronnie James Dio on your so-called drive - you can have it.

Now THAT is PC Convergence!!!!
Old 07-10-2008   #5
Amy

I used to name mine like LazyDog, Badboy, and so on.
Old 07-13-2008   #6

Default Flavio

I like that for a name for a hard drive.

Flavio - it just has a good ring to it....
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, conventions, disks, drive, drives, external, ftp, hard, harddrives, hardrives, hdds, names, naming, pc, vip722