Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Media Center PC (http://www.avrev.com/forum/media-center-pc-36/)
-   -   Naming of hard drives (http://www.avrev.com/forum/media-center-pc/961-naming-hard-drives.html)

JerryDelColliano 10-29-2007 06:42 PM

Naming of hard drives

We have a LONG STANDING tradition of naming hard drives here at AVRev.com.

We have cycled through most of the names in the Simpsons, Spinal Tap and The Sopranos.

Right now I have drives named - Johnny Sack, Mich Shrimpton and Doug Llewelyn (the reporter from The People's Court).

On a Mac you can cut and past a gif from say Photoshop or Image Ready and click the drive ONCE. You then hit APPL+I for "get info" and single click the drive icon in the upper left corner. You can then APPL=V "paste" the image onto the drive so that if you want a head shot of Ronnie James Dio on your so-called drive - you can have it.

Now THAT is PC Convergence!!!!

kennyt 10-30-2007 06:59 AM

Re: Naming of hard drives

I went through a phase were I customized a lot of my icons, I still have one I use for my hard drives that I can't seem to paste into this forum of a HD with a blue circle, large wrench and a blue lock on it, it's super cool but no where near as cute as the Penguin icon I use for my laptops HD.... Why a penguin? No idea but it's cute!

I think you need a Ron Jeremy Hard Drive, for the one that gets the most use!

Telstar 11-09-2007 01:59 PM

I'm more practical, i name them depending on the content (win, backup, media, audio, movies etc)

kloneman 02-27-2008 09:47 PM

Hehe, way better than "C:\"

I have run into some problems with naming conventions, since I own Macs and SGI Irix unix systems, and I use similar systems at work, but have to sometimes exchange data with M$ Windows.

Today, I had a Mac folder with a name similar to "old->new" that had folders and files in it. I copied this onto a memory stick and brought it to the work PC for transfer to the Work SGI. (The SGI can't read flash drives, and I'm not permitted to connect the Mac to the SGI via a network)

The folder name represented some data for a conversion that was "in work". This name works just fine on the Mac, but when I FTP'd the directory to the SGI from a Windows PC, the ">" character in the name was changed to a "?" and the files and folders where not present. When I went back to the original folder on the Mac and named it "old-2-new", the process worked as expected and the files were accessible. I did not spend the time determining which system PC or SGI was getting tripped up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 5308)
We have a LONG STANDING tradition of naming hard drives here at AVRev.com.

We have cycled through most of the names in the Simpsons, Spinal Tap and The Sopranos.

Right now I have drives named - Johnny Sack, Mich Shrimpton and Doug Llewelyn (the reporter from The People's Court).

On a Mac you can cut and past a gif from say Photoshop or Image Ready and click the drive ONCE. You then hit APPL+I for "get info" and single click the drive icon in the upper left corner. You can then APPL=V "paste" the image onto the drive so that if you want a head shot of Ronnie James Dio on your so-called drive - you can have it.

Now THAT is PC Convergence!!!!

Amy 07-10-2008 02:25 AM

I used to name mine like LazyDog, Badboy, and so on. :)

JerryDelColliano 07-13-2008 03:18 PM

Flavio

I like that for a name for a hard drive.

Flavio - it just has a good ring to it....