Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 10-27-2007   #1

Arrow Diveristy in hard drives for music collection

I have spent $10,000's of dollars collecting music over the years and in recent year(s) I have ripped much of it to external hard drives. This allows me to (sometimes) be able to upload music to my music server that drives my multi-room audio system as well as in the zone for my theater.

My concern came when my Lacie drives started ALL failing within the same week. I had three of them and they started making a high pitch "whurr" sound seemingly coming from the Power Supply. Not too long thereafter - they were dead.

Today I am using one remaining Lacie, a Western Digital and another brand of drive that I cant remember the name of. My thought is that the diversity in brands will help me avoid seeing my main drive AND the backup go dead in the same 3 day period ever again. Losing this collection on the hard drive would be hard, if not impossible to replace.

How do you store your music?

Should I get a BIG secondary drive for my office Mac and back things up there?
Old 11-09-2007   #2

Default Re: Diveristy in hard drives for music collection

It could... to avoid a bad batch. LaCie external drives in general have bad reliability IMHO.

I have my music triplicated onto 3 HDD. Being my CD library not huge, with FLAC compression is under 500gb.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #3

Default Re: Diveristy in hard drives for music collection

Many different brands use the same internal drives. I think the only way to go is a raid 5 system with internal seagate or toshiba drives.

Founder
ComputerAudiophile.com

Blogging live from CES 2008, Jan. 7-10
The Computer Audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
collecting, collection, collections, compare, drive, drives, external, hard, internal, making, music, musical, video