Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 12-30-2007   #7

Default Re: Why don't Media Center PCs have Satellite Receiver Cards?

I was intending to go to CES but scheduling is not likely to let that happen this year.

Will AV Revolution keep tabs on and report daily on what's new and interesting at CES? Should I bookmark a page along with TWICE publications? :-)

Thanks,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
SteinyD,

Good point. I'll be sure to keep a look out for new DirectTV news at CES.
SteinyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #8

There is NO WAY I would want to switch from DirecTV's 100 HD channels to cable JUST to use a media center PC.

They NEED a sat card and FAST.

I bet I see some at CES...

j
Old 12-30-2007   #9

Well, if you are betting man you will be in the right place to place such a bet! However, I wouldn't put too much money on it. With the recent changes to ownership of the two satellite companies, along with Dish's purchase of Sling Media and DirecTV's purchase of ReplayTV, I would hold on to your bet in regard to seeing something delivered (with dates) at CES. I would suggest that those acquistions are going to provide the PC based software along with the engineering to get them there.

Unless they have been intelligently planning during the 'quiet' period, I think we have a little while longer to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
There is NO WAY I would want to switch from DirecTV's 100 HD channels to cable JUST to use a media center PC.

They NEED a sat card and FAST.

I bet I see some at CES...

j
Old 12-30-2007   #10

We don't really do traditional show coverage, although Ken and I have been using this forum as a means to bring you the absolute latest news. CES has grown to such a size that it's next to impossible to see everything but I will make sure I stop by DirectTV and see what's what. Even though I'm a Dish man myself.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #11

Don't feel like you should only keep your reporting limited to satellite television! ;-) Bring on anything home theater related! According to Electronic House Magazine, the next big thing is 'media servers'! I would agree and hope to hear about alot of new means of distributing content throughout my home, especially video at consumer friendly prices (in other words, not Kaleidescape!)!

Thanks for whatever information you can share!!

Regards,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
We don't really do traditional show coverage, although Ken and I have been using this forum as a means to bring you the absolute latest news. CES has grown to such a size that it's next to impossible to see everything but I will make sure I stop by DirectTV and see what's what. Even though I'm a Dish man myself.
Old 01-02-2008   #12

Talking Re: Why don't Media Center PCs have Satellite Receiver Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I suspect Andrew is right. This brings me back to the main problem in automation/integration today.

No Standard.

Everyone is trying to make a system to control lighting, distribute music, etc, but NONE of them use the same techniques or methods and are all incompatible with each other.

The best analogy I've heard was to compare this to shipping. Every shipping container is the same size, they fit obn cargo ships, trains and semi's allowing them to freely go by any route to get to there destination.

We have countless music servers, lighting systems etc and ALL of them use proprietary systems to function. Imagine how easy all these things would be if they all had a defined, standard connections. Something like how Firewire is defined. Any computer to use Firewire works with it. Imagine if all the multitude of current high end home systems could do that??
You're right, standardization doesn't exist in the PC world. It would be lovely if the multitude of high end systems could do these things - with a defined standard (be it firewire or USB 2.0)
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
card, cards, center, connect, direct, hd, mce, media, pc, receiver, sat, satelite, satellite, turn, tv