Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 03-06-2009   #1

Default "STREAMING VIDEO"

Folks,
I think it's important to start a thread re: streaming video...............seems like the future in the making.............and to be honest, I'm a little LOST! Names like Roku, VUDU, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft Media, etc., etc. keep cropping up!!! With all the intelligence within these forums, I'm sure we'll be able to offer something to the undecided, unsavvy & those still wondering whether Blu-ray is the way to go!!!!
Bob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: "STREAMING VIDEO"

There are many forms of streaming video, but I'm guessing you are referring to internet based streaming. The issue with the internet streams is a matter of throughput. Most ISPs will not deliver enough data for HD video streaming unless it is highly compressed and perhaps frame rate limited.

U-verse and FiOS are forms of video streaming where they deliver fairly high bit rates to the house. U-verse currently is at 25.8 mpbs and I'm sure FiOS is similar or more. Basically that breaks down to a total of 4 video streams with two of which can be HD streams. The HD streams are in the range of 8-9 mbps each.

Now compare that with DSL/T1 speeds of 1.5 mpbs, you can see the problem with internet based video stream delivery.

Within my house I do video streaming from a central server over my network basically from one computer to another. There are also LAN based media players like the Popcorn Hour and Sage TV that will also stream HD video from a network server or connected computer. Another alternative is the WD TV HD media player that streams HD video from a connected USB hard drive or memory stick. While not LAN based it does provide an easy method of supplying HD video to a HDTV that is not connected to a computer.

I'm not sure I touched on exactly what you were considering, but it is a start.

Last edited by rbinck; 03-19-2009 at 04:40 PM..
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #3

rbinck.
In your opinion, can FOIS & AT&T give us what Blu-Ray does WITHOUT another "box"??????
Bob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #4
Administrator

No, not in my opinion. Blu-ray can deliver up to 30 mbps and that is far in excess of what OTA at 19 mbps or any satellite or cable system can currently provide. Will the picture be much worse? Maybe not all that worse.

I use a HTPC with a Blu-ray drive to play into another HTPC via the Hauppague 1212 PVR box to copy Blu-ray discs to my video file server. It records HD via component video and I have it set for 9mbps bitrate. It is hard to see much difference in the recording from the original on my HDTV. Now if I had a 120" projector screen, maybe I would see a difference.

Last edited by rbinck; 03-20-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Old 03-20-2009   #5
wes

Talking Re: "STREAMING VIDEO"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
No, not in my opinion. Blu-ray can deliver up to 30 mbps and that is far in excess of what OTA at 19 mbps or any satellite or cable system can currently provide. Will the picture be much worse? Maybe not all that worse.

I use a HTPC with a Blu-ray drive to play into another HTPC via the Hauppague 1212 PVR box to copy Blu-ray discs to my video file server. It records HD via component video and I have it set for 9mbps bitrate. It is hard to see much difference in the recording from the original on my HDTV. Now if I had a 120" projector screen, maybe I would see a difference.
I have a 128" 2:35 Screen and I can see a difference Good quality Blu Ray rules
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I have a 128" 2:35 Screen and I can see a difference Good quality Blu Ray rules
What difference are you talking about? I was talking about the difference between a source and a recording using the Hauppague PVR device. Do you have a Hauppague PVR?
Sponsored Links

Tags
1212, bluray, file, forum, forums, hauppauge, hd, memory, pc, player, stick, stream, streaming, uverse, video