Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 06-12-2007   #1

Default What is the Best Video Card (Gaming, HT, Both)?

If I were building a HTPC that I would also be using for Gaming which would be the best all round video card for the two? Something that could handle HD-DVD playback and higher end game graphics and MORPG's etc.

I just upgraded my PC (well built a whole new one) and as part of it I bought the ATI HD2900XT. Does anyone else own this card? I have an issue with the card where it will not pixel map to my HP Pavilion 65" MD6580N Via HDMI.

It recognizes the TV and 1080p is selectable as a resolution but the picture is windowed on the screen with a 4-5 inch black border all around. Component connection has the same effect.

The TV says it is getting 1080p as well. I have an older Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256mb that works just fine with the TV. I also took the newly built system back to the store where we connected it to another 1080p TV/Monitor and it exhibited the same windowing effect.

Do I just have a wonky card or is this a problem with all of them? I can't see how this could possibly get by QA testing.

My setup is basically listed in my profile, but in summary I have Windows Vista Ultimate, Intel 975xbx board, Intel Duo 2.44 CPU, 4 GB ram, 2x500 SATA raid and the ATI HD 2900xt.

I still have about 3 weeks to return the card, but I am not sure if I should get another 2900 or try the nVidia 8800 series card. I need HDCP with they both have.

Visiontek will RMA the card, and I am still waiting for further words of wisdom from AMD ATI support. So far their sole contribution has been to delete and reinstall with the latest drivers. I tried this to no effect even though when I built the system I ignored the included drivers and went right to the Web for the latest.

Anyone have any ideas or what might be wrong with the card and/or suggestions for the best card to have in any case.

Cheers,

Richard
Hogback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #2

Default Re: What is the Best Video Card (Gaming, HT, Both)?

The best card right now is the 8800 ultra series, but I do not know if it would be the best for your set up. Nvidia just recently anounced that they would be lowering their prices here very soon.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
09, 1080p, 2009, audio, card, cards, center, centers, gaming, hdmi, ht, media, pc, video, viedeo