Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 02-27-2008   #25

Cool Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The No-Drive solution is ....

interesting. How do I get my games on it?

Oh right Macs don't get games like a PC does.
I suppose you don't need to use online downloaders from servers like Steam to download your favorite games...lucky you. I have to download most of my PC games because that's how they're sold. And play on my Mac Pro.
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #26
Super Moderator

Default Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

Hmm. Apple has announced the new versions of their other laptop models - Macbook and Macbook Pro.

These seem to be nothing more than incremental speed and resolution increases. I noticed that the airport is also 802.11n, but I haven't been tracking close enough to see if this is actually new. I did notice that there are no optical drive options available for playing or burning HD content yet. The maximum display resolution of the 17 inch is 1920 by 1200 if you buy the upgraded version, so all of the HD content pieces are in place SANS the BD OPTICAL DRIVE.

There must really be a technical/engineering problem for low profile, slot loading BD burners, or Apple would have put them in these...

I continue to wait for the "right thing" to come along. I want a real 64-bit CPU (one or more cores, not a couple of 32-bit cores), because I want to do large "scientific programming" and I want internal BD burner, so I can do the same things with HD content that I can do now for Std Def content on my Powerbook G4.

In other news, I was in a Best Buy recently, getting some printing done, while I was waiting I looked at some displays, to see how things are fairing on that front. I have decided I will not buy the "glossy" version of any display - the glare from reflection is just too annoying. It reminded me of my first days with a Unix workstation, where I had to construct a "hood" from a portion of a cardboard box, and tape it to the top of the CRT to cut down on the glare from the office ambient light.

Last edited by kloneman; 02-27-2008 at 09:03 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
Laugh all you, want - but I am serious. Cost is (possibly) not the issue - Mac users historically pony up more for their computers than PC users do. The combination of capability, flexibility and ease of use for that cost IS the issue (for me at least). Why would I pay more for a Macintosh that DOES LESS than the Macintosh I already have. It has a smaller display, and not as much storage nor as much connectivity as the Mac I have now. I cannot connect my camcorder to it, yet it comes with applications to make Movies and burn them to DVD.... How many of those sub-$400 PCs you refer to having BD burners are laptops.... Eyes rolled in response...
You didn't understand me - what I was saying is that Mac's are expensive already so why not put BD in them. I'm not saying that there are 400.00 PC's with BD burners in them, I was saying that burners themselves are $400.00. To say...What is an extra $400.00 to a Mac user? They should support BD and put burners in their computers since people pay a premium for Mac anyway.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #28
Super Moderator

I'm a Mac user, and $400 is a 2GB upgrade at Apple's extortion pricing to me. It is $50 more than the AppleCare to me. (I have kids and need that!)
$400 turns a $3200 laptop into a $3600 laptop. (Focusing in on laptops, because that's what I'm in the market for - The situation is a little different i.e. EASIER for towers, and yeah I want one of those too, but I have choices to make). I'm agreeing with you, in that BD drives should be in there, but they should not cost the same as an over the counter BD drive, or the cost of a PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
You didn't understand me - what I was saying is that Mac's are expensive already so why not put BD in them. I'm not saying that there are 400.00 PC's with BD burners in them, I was saying that burners themselves are $400.00. To say...What is an extra $400.00 to a Mac user? They should support BD and put burners in their computers since people pay a premium for Mac anyway.

Last edited by kloneman; 02-27-2008 at 09:15 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
$400 is a 2GB upgrade at Apple's extortion pricing. It is more than the AppleCare.
$400 turns a $3200 laptop into a $3600 laptop. (Focusing in on laptops, because that's what I'm in the market for - The situation is a little different i.e. EASIER for towers, and yeah I want one of those too, but I have choices to make). I'm agreeing with you, in that they should be in there, but they should not cost the same as an over the counter BD drive, or the cost of a PS3.
10-4, If you only want a player - that should be $100.00 - $139.00 (the 400.00 was for a BD burner).
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #30
Super Moderator

hehe I won't waste my time on the player - See my earlier comment - I want a burner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
10-4, If you only want a player - that should be $100.00 - $139.00 (the 400.00 was for a BD burner).

Tags
3rd, apple, blu, bluray, computer, computers, dvd, hd, mac, macosx, party, player, players, program, ray