Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 01-23-2008   #13

Default Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

As a long time Mac user (at home) and a PC (XP) user at work, my concerns with the downloadable formats are:
1. The lack of physical media means that in case of drive/Apple TV failure, you are left with nothing.
2. Constraints are placed on when you can start viewing a movie from the time of download and also once you start watching.
3. Cannot collect movies.
4. You have to pay for each viewing - this is a paradigm shift from the home viewing experience and one I personally do not want to stomach. What's next? Pay each time you hear a piece of music? (as opposed to a one time purchase of intellectual property after which you can listen/watch at your convenience as many times as you want).

This sounds exactly like the DIVX format proposed by Circuit City in the early days of DVD. I felt then that it was not an ideal solution (at least for me) then and I still feel the same. If you could have downloadable movies that you could somehow archive and watch WHEN YOU WANTED TO, I would fully support it.

Thanks for allowing me to rant!
Regards
Rooney
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Played on line is one thing, but downloading the games as the only way to get the game?

No-Drive is cool looking and very rebelious but makes it impossible for me to get games. That is bad. However it being a Mac makes it almost just as hard to get games.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
As a long time Mac user (at home) and a PC (XP) user at work, my concerns with the downloadable formats are:
1. The lack of physical media means that in case of drive/Apple TV failure, you are left with nothing.
2. Constraints are placed on when you can start viewing a movie from the time of download and also once you start watching.
4. You have to pay for each viewing - this is a paradigm shift from the home viewing experience and one I personally do not want to stomach. What's next? Pay each time you hear a piece of music? (as opposed to a one time purchase of intellectual property after which you can listen/watch at your convenience as many times as you want).

This sounds exactly like the DIVX format proposed by Circuit City in the early days of DVD. I felt then that it was not an ideal solution (at least for me) then and I still feel the same. If you could have downloadable movies that you could somehow archive and watch WHEN YOU WANTED TO, I would fully support it.

Regards
Rooney
The option to buy will come. And I believe they will archive your account information on a place other than your hdd. It's coming - believe me.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
I have to use it for real work, and do not need something that locks up and crashes regularly.
I own multiple Falcon NorthWest computers (PCs) and they lock up/crash about once a month if that. There is definately something to be said about a quality built PC over say Dell or HP. I'd also say it's never locked up while "working," but while playing poorly coded games.

I also fully believe in keeping my system clean of un-needed programs running in the background.

Also locking up and crashing is not a PC only symptom. My sister complains regularly about her Macs doing the same thing before she just goes out and buys a new one. She get a new Mac about every 12 to 18 months. I've got an 8 year old Falcon that still runs strong and rarely if ever crashes.

I fully believe both systems are likely just as stable as the other. It's what you do with it and allow to run on it that changes that.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post

Regards
Rooney
Rooney,

I believe this is to battle NetFlix's downloadable movie content. This is not to battle the LIVE Marketplace or others. It's a renting service pure and simple. A Marketplace like service is also available but without full studio support.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I own multiple Falcon NorthWest computers (PCs) and they lock up/crash about once a month if that. There is definately something to be said about a quality built PC over say Dell or HP. I'd also say it's never locked up while "working," but while playing poorly coded games.

I also fully believe in keeping my system clean of un-needed programs running in the background.

Also locking up and crashing is not a PC only symptom. My sister complains regularly about her Macs doing the same thing before she just goes out and buys a new one. She get a new Mac about every 12 to 18 months. I've got an 8 year old Falcon that still runs strong and rarely if ever crashes.

I fully believe both systems are likely just as stable as the other. It's what you do with it and allow to run on it that changes that.
I did not mean to imply macs do not have any problems. I'm just saying they are much less problematic than PCs. My macs have had lock-ups too, just not every few days or every week. Lately, Time Machine has been the culprit for locking things up on my macs. Also, I was just tired of spending lots of time fighting with PCs - trying to get them working on a network, and constantly fighting off viruses.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
3rd, apple, blu, bluray, computer, computers, dvd, hd, mac, macosx, party, player, players, program, ray