Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Media Center PC

Media Center PC Share your experiences with PCs in your home theater.

Old 01-22-2008   #7

Default Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The No-Drive solution is ....

interesting. How do I get my games on it?

Oh right Macs don't get games like a PC does.
As bandwidth opens - games will be played on line, but you are right - currently PC's are the computer of choice for gaming!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
As bandwidth opens - games will be played on line, but you are right - currently PC's are the computer of choice for gaming!
Played on line is one thing, but downloading the games as the only way to get the game?

No-Drive is cool looking and very rebelious but makes it impossible for me to get games. That is bad. However it being a Mac makes it almost just as hard to get games.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #9
Super Moderator

Lotus, your anti-Mac bias is showing... Having no built-in optical drive does not make it impossible to install software. in fact, you have two options: 1. buy a USB based optical drive and connect it to install your software, or 2. use the software Apple supplies with the Mac Air, on either an existing Mac or PC with an optical drive and connect to it via your wireless network to install your software. (I thought it could be directly connected to a wired network also, but now I think I was wrong about that - therefore a wireless base station or wireless card would be needed in the computer containing the optical drive.) I would assume that most people currently have a computer that has an optical drive, if they don't want to carry the extra baggage of a separate one.

I would rather have a built-in optical drive, preferably a BluRay Read/Write, or optionally a dual-format drive in my next laptop, which will be a Mac, mainly based upon the years of great service I've had with my existing Mac laptop, in spite of very "high milage, rode hard". As for games, I could care less - my kids play have fun playing the titles available for the Mac, and they don't complain. I am holding out for a 64-bit CPU, since I work on scientific programming that can benefit from the advantages of it. I realize that this requirement may have me waiting even longer, than for an internal BD drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Played on line is one thing, but downloading the games as the only way to get the game?

No-Drive is cool looking and very rebelious but makes it impossible for me to get games. That is bad. However it being a Mac makes it almost just as hard to get games.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-22-2008 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Correct error in presumed network capability of Mac Air laptop.
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
Lotus, your anti-Mac bias is showing...
Seeing as how my wife works in the game industry it makes having a Mac around rather pointless. My sister loves her Mac, but it's not for me.

I think I became biased against the Mac way back when I tried to use its one button mouse.

I was brought up and raised on PCs and that just makes it real hard to switch. I don't "bash," Mac and respect Apple for what they do right. The No-Drive looks cool but it's really before its time imho.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #11

Lotus,

I switched to Mac when XP came out and yes, it took a little time to adapt, but...

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #12

Smile Re: Why Apple hasn't put a bluray or hd-dvd player in their computers

I hate the one-button mouse too. I refuse to use it. I prefer a normal mouse which works fine with all my macs. The second button still works pretty much like the second button on a PC mouse. I also hate physically moving a mouse around, so I only use a roller ball mouse.
I also like the scroll wheel a lot when I used PCs, and it also works fine with macs.

I did not buy a mac as toy to play games with. I have to use it for real work, and do not need something that locks up and crashes regularly.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
3rd, apple, blu, bluray, computer, computers, dvd, hd, mac, macosx, party, player, players, program, ray