Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Media Center PC (http://www.avrev.com/forum/media-center-pc-36/)
-   -   new member over here with some doubts (http://www.avrev.com/forum/media-center-pc/1324-new-member-over-here-some-doubts.html)

leviathan18 12-20-2007 06:22 PM

new member over here with some doubts

well let me introduce myself in my first of many posts over here, im from Venezuela computer engineer Overcloking aficionado car enthusiast and well general lover of every bit of technology.

i might know almost everything from the computer world but when it comes to A/V i'm a complete newbie i feel so out of place that i dont even know where to start.

the idea:

a nice LCD 42" with 1080p capabilities brand i dont care as it looks superb and does everything required (which i dont know what are good requirements are lol )

a slim A/V receiver i think the only option i have is the JVC RX-D702B which i've read is quite good.

a nice set of 5.1 which doesnt cost a kidney i was looking over Harman Kardon HKTS-18 5.1 but i'm open to suggestion

and of course that is why im posting this here, i want an htpc to handle my music and video needs, the basic hardware layout i have it figured it out is a little bit overkill but i also do work for the world community grid so is a double purpose machine core 2 quad 6600 4gb ddr2 800mhz 8600gt video and 750gb hdd but i want to know what kind of sound car should i get and what kind of tuner if i want to use the HTPC as PVR i want HD video so it will have BR and HD dvd player i guess i will use the HDDVD player from the xbox and a liteon blu ray driver

also we have here in venezuela directv which is the one you guys had like 10 years ago still SD and the receiver is C**P sorry to say it only has s-video output and composite and the normal RF

so i want to get a good all around start in this and maybe later i will start upgrading i dont have a set budget but also i dont want to spend a lot of money if its possible i dont need a videophile and audiophile system just all around good and nice with almost everything in just one device

leviathan18 12-21-2007 03:19 PM

Re: new member over here with some doubts

no help :(

kennyt 12-21-2007 08:46 PM

Well, it's tough to answer everything, sounds like you have your source (HTPC) settled, so all you should need is the receiver, which you also have picked. Speakers are a personal thing, I have been loving the new Kef line, I still have the 5005.2 system I reviewed in my bedroom and it does a great job for a small system and is easy to power with a receiver.

Check out the review here;

http://avrev.com/equip/kef_kht_5005_2_system/

I don't know what your budget is, but these can be found for ~$1400 or so USD, they have other models above and below depending on your wants but these speakers are good enough I've no desire to replace them.

As for nice LCD's, I like the Sony XBR's, but I must admit, I am way more impressed with the new Pioneer Elite Kuro plasmas which are also 1080p, and to my eyes plasmas look much better with SD TV (which it seems you are forced to use) than LCD's unless you plan to pony up for a good video scaler.

Just a start for you......

leviathan18 12-21-2007 09:38 PM

i want to have the minimal clutter of equipment so i thought why not an htpc you can have blue ray hd dvd dvd avi mp3 mp4 games internet pvr everything in just one little box but my biggest concern is how i must proceed with the sound car i want my receiver handles all the decoding

for the speaker wow those look neat, i was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...8301520&sr=8-6 i dont know what you guys think about the brand or quality of sound so any help i would be grateful.

i was also looking at the XBR4 but they are kinda expensive i was looking at this Samsung LNT4071F 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD or the Sharp aquos 42" the 62u series but im afraid of banding issues with them

i dont have big budget but i want to get the best out of my money, im really open to suggestions as i dont know a lot about all this stuff been reading like crazy but i cant find many sites with decent reviews of all the stuff

really thanks for the help :)

kennyt 12-21-2007 09:41 PM

If going LCD, do go with the 120 Hz displays, they are a huge step up, as for the HK speakers, I have no experience with them.

leviathan18 12-22-2007 07:42 AM

ok i guess i have settled the lcd too if 120hz are good lol

and i think somewhere i read they support 1080p/24 which is nice

i cant find an online retailer with the speakers you recommended well at least not in amazon lol so if you know any good online retailer that sells AV please let me know :)

thanks for all the tips and help