Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 10-23-2007   #1

Cool CANTON 809DC/890DC

KENNYT,

Wow thanks so much for the helpful information. It's good to hear from somebody actually using the CANTON'S.

According to another review I saw, the 809DC speakers along w/ the reference were mostly running at 4 OHMS, which the TGA-5200 would be cranking out 400 watts/channel at that level... do you still think they would be too thin.. are the 5200s really cranking out that much power?

Sounds like from your review, that the speakers are hungry for power

Have you listened to the Ref 7DC?... would they be appreciably better than the 809DC.

It's too bad I really want the CANTON's because I live in LR, Arkansas and I mean there is nobody in this state or even bordering that appears to be selling CANTON's. I wondered for a while if CANTONS were even being sold in N.A.

Also, do you have any recommendations for authorized online sales...

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com
claims to sale authorized new 809DC.. no mention of the new models, but the price looks good

or would most local reps be able to offer a decent discount on newly ordered speakers?

BIKER
BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #2

Default Re: CANTON 809DC/890DC

Many tough questions...

The Reference 7DC's seem to be the reference line's speaker between the 807 and 809, the Ref 5's are the upgraded 809/890's. I have never had a chance to hear the Reference vs. regular, so I can not comment on the difference. The price difference isn't minor, so I would hope/expect the sonics to follow but can only assume.

FWIW All amp power outputs I listed were for 8 Ohms, and used with the speakers I listed, yes, I found they preferred power, but your mileage might vary if your listening level is significantly lower than mine. Also, in my review of the Sunfire amp I used the 7400 fed via a Meridian 861 and came to my conclusions based on comarison to the HPA-3 I was using. I still suspect the 5200 would be a little light for these speakers.

I can't comment on Internet sellers, but you are right, Legacy does seem to be a legitimate retailer for Canton. You could try to contact the company and see if they have someone close to you for a listen.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #3

Lightbulb Re: CANTON 809DC/890DC

Thanks again for the help.

BTW, I just installed the first stage of my HT setup.. BBUY just installed a brand new Pioneeer Elite PRO 110FD 1080P TV.. it looks great...

I think it'll look even better w/ a pair of black lacquer 809DC speakers and CC speaker

I saw where you were using the sub to pump up the bass in your review.. do you feel they were really lacking w/o them?

If used a 5200 amp and decided to BI-AMP the L/R speakers would I still have the 5th channel to drive the CENTER and I assume the self-powered subwoofer wouldn't need an amplifier hook up?
BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #4

I really think you need a sub with most every consumer grade speakers today. While some go pretty low - you REALLY take the pressure off the speaker by letting a sub to the lows.
Old 10-28-2007   #5

I agree, the Cantons need a sub anyway, they don't seem to go as low as they say...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
48, 5200, 809, 809dc, 890, 890dc, audio, canton, monitor, ohms, review, sale, speaker, speakers, tga, vento