Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   Musical in-wall speakers on a relative budget. (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/908-musical-wall-speakers-relative-budget.html)

EricPU 10-19-2007 03:27 PM

Musical in-wall speakers on a relative budget.

First post, please be gentle :)

Ok, to keep a long short cause you all know it, the wife insists on in-wall speakers in the the only room in our house that I can use for listening to my beloved music. Enough said...

The room is 30 x 15 with cathedral ceilings, hardwood floors and lots of windows.

The music I like is everything from Coldplay to Joni Michell. Love vocals. I like a smooth warm sound.

So my friends...I've got some money to spend (7K) but need to spread it out a little on the following:

2.1 stereo speakers/sub for aformentioned listening/formal room. (critical music listening)
2.0 stereo speakers for family room for HT listening (SQ far less important to me)
reciever or pre/pro & amp seperates
Installation costs.
I will also want to install some speakers out side in the back yard for

So how do I spread this budget out? Anyone care to tell me what they'd do with this cash?

My thoughts were:
2 x in-wall speakers (TBD) for music room
Rel T1 sub for music room (MSRP = $995)
NAD T175 pre/pro/tuner (if its ever released). (MSRP = $1999)
Some form of amp to go with the above.
2 x in-ceiling speakers (TBD) for family room.

Am I way off here on this so far? I heard the PSB CW383 in-walls just earlier today and I thought they sounded nice, albeit that they did sound quite up-front or bright to my ears. i think they MSRP os $1800 a pair. Is this a fair percentage of my total budget I should be spending on these speakers for my music listening room? Am I correct trying to go with seperates with this budget or should I stick with a solid reciever and spend more on the speakers?

Thanks one and all for your advise.

Cheers,
Eric

JerryDelColliano 10-19-2007 04:37 PM

Re: Musical in-wall speakers on a relative budget.

Eric,

Don't worry about being flamed here. This is a friendly forum. We redirect the dickweeds elsewhere! :)

I recomend Revel and Sonance for you.

I also suggest that the use of EQ and better than average source components and electronics will help dramtically!!!

j

EricPU 10-19-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 4602)
Eric,

Don't worry about being flamed here. This is a friendly forum. We redirect the dickweeds elsewhere! :)

I recomend Revel and Sonance for you.

I also suggest that the use of EQ and better than average source components and electronics will help dramtically!!!

j

Thanks a million Jerry, I appriciate the wecome . I guess I assumed Revel was out of my price point, the same for Sonance. If you think I should be looking at a specific model within each brand please let me know, otherwise I'll go check out the websites and go from there.

Thanks again,
Eric

JerryDelColliano 10-19-2007 04:47 PM

I think you can get into them both for about $2,000 per pair.

Look at the Sonance Architectual Series. They are best LOOKING installed in-walls. They also sound good.

I think Revel has some for $2,000 a pair too.

------

I was in San Diego doing a speech for the Consumer Electronics Assc at the Hotel Del on Tuesday. I LOVE it down there. Not as much "action" as LA but the BEST weather.

EricPU 10-19-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 4605)
I think you can get into them both for about $2,000 per pair.

Look at the Sonance Architectual Series. They are best LOOKING installed in-walls. They also sound good.

I think Revel has some for $2,000 a pair too.

------

I was in San Diego doing a speech for the Consumer Electronics Assc at the Hotel Del on Tuesday. I LOVE it down there. Not as much "action" as LA but the BEST weather.

Hotel Del....real nice spot. Yeah I came to San Diego in '99 (from Ireland) for a two week vacation and never left :)

Would I need a sub with those speakers? if so, what would you recommend? Now I feel like I'm taking advantange so feel free to reply to these posts whenever.

Cheers,
Eric

JerryDelColliano 10-19-2007 04:59 PM

Subs

You can get an inwall sub from Sonance. Not sure if Revel has one.

Otherwise a small Sunfire would do the trick. Outlaw Audio has good ones cheap too. Online only.

-----

Don't worry about bothering me and my staff.

We are here to help when we can.

The advantage of AVRev.com over other home theater forums is that you get TRUE EXPERTS posting and giving advice here. Bob Hodas is the most accomplished recording studio tuner. David DelGrosso put DTS on the map. I have worked with Mark Levinson at Cello and Christopher Hansen Ltd. Kevin Miller is the LEAD video calibration instuctor for the ISF. That's only a start.