Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 05-29-2007   #13

Default Re: Price vs. Performance

Did you see the job from ModernHomeTheater.com that we featured with the client who has a Mclaren Mercedes SLR? Its really killer. http://www.modernhometheater.com/vir...me2/slideshow/

What you can't see in the shots are this guy's art collection. He has a canvas of Warhol's Jackie. I have the print and I thought I was cool. The canvas has to be $750,000. He also has some really out-there peices by Duchamps, 2 Damien Hirst install peices, a Flavin neon light install and many more. You can see a Richard Serra paining behind the articulating plasma drop down.
JerryDelColliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #14

Jerry,You still need a Ferrari!

Andrew, if you want a 355, buy it! Worst thing you find out just how costly they are to maintain and sell it but it's a life experience you should have and you would look damn good in that car!

I am sure I'll be paying for this one one day.....

Ken
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #15

Believe me I've been over the cost to own ratios a thousand times as well as found not one but three independent and reputable service people who can work on the car for less than the factory. When the time is right and that moment comes along where you can't pass it up then I'll jump but I'm not chomping at the bit to find it today. I have the information, I know what I want and now it's just about finding the right one at the right time. I'm sure it'll happen but for now I'm content.

Don't get me started about Jerry and Ferrari's though. After all the crap he's given me over me wanting to buy a used 355. I'm crazy. Buy a Porsche. They're crap. etc etc. Then he turns around, or should I say, Krista turns around and tells me he's lusted for a Ferrari for years, and really wants to buy one. I think it's funny.

Andrew
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #16

Thumbs up Re: Price vs. Performance

Well, look what I started here with cars. Andrew, go for your 355 if that is your hearts desire. I`m not familar with Ferrari`s service record, but if they are a pain to maintain, why bother. To me, its like this, after a while whether its a car or a megabuck amp, I expect to come home, hit the power button and enjoy my tunes. After putting up all day with work, the last thing I need is tweaking sound equipment. Its about the music? Right? Same with cars, turn on the engine, and fly!!

You spend this money, there should be a level of attention, quality, craftmanship, and detail put into whatever it is. It should not get worse as you spend more. I have never ascribed to that theory.

And I agree with Jerry, now that his buddy has the SL65 AMG, its done. Sleek, comfortable, quick, a looks like it hovers the road like a spaceship. Hard top instead of those ugly cloth tops. They gotta go. It just takes away fom the car.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #17

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe we'll have to start a car forum too, seeing as how everyone here seems to be a bit of a sports car fanatic. I completely agree with you regarding the need to simply press play and go. Honestly, regardless of which car you buy there is always going to be maintenance. I currently drive an Mercedes SLK roadster and have had more than my share of bumps along the way in terms of maintenance. No two cars are alike, and what holds true for one won't hold true for the other. Cars are an expensive proposition no matter what, especially when you get into higher dollar vehicles. It all comes down to what you're willing to live with and what you can afford. Just like high end audio. I can't tell you how many top dollar products I've come across that have caused me more headaches than not even in the face of the manufacturers' seemingly bullet proof reputation to the contrary. To each his own I suppose. As with anything in life, it's more about the journey than the end result. Have a good one.

Andrew
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #18

Angry Re: Price vs. Performance

I guess you are right Andrew. You really have to pick your poison. I remember first reading Absolute Sound when it was just a paperback, and Harry Pearson drove me crazy with esoteric gear, that seemed to have more than it share of issues. The more you spent, the more problems and tweaking. If I ever get any equipment like that, its going by by!!
There is a different limit, like you said, for all of us, but I still believe at some level, quality is key. Its about the experience and enjoying your collection. Same with the cars, if repairs are more common, like say Jaquar years ago, and parts hard to get, for me that puts a damper on the whole thing. Especially after your wife gives you the go ahead!! I would never hear the end of it!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, california, dealers, deftech, gallo, klipsch, mythos, performance, price, reference, southern, speakers, synergy, system, usher, vs