Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 11-29-2007   #61

Default Re: Price vs. Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
You state at the very top of this Forum that:

"Speakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here."

No offense, guys, but you are mistaken. The source component absolutely has the greatest impact and defines the maximum quality of any audio system, not the speakers!
I tend to agree mostly with Andrew.

The general sound quality of today low and midrange speakers is in my very own opinion awful. If you use a quality source, you cannot stand what comes out a cheap pair of speakers, unless you want to take many compromises. Es. good sounding bookshelves can be acquired for about less the money needed for a decent pair of towers.
Going to the used market helps on this.

A mid-level source (and amplification) paired with a mid-level pair of speakers that u can find on the market now will sound decent, but if you try to replace the source and the amplification with something high-end, you will hear ALL the limits of the cheapo speakers.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Paradigm, Definitive technologies, Vandersteen,its great to see great speakers at reasonable price ranges for all to enjoy.
Anyone out there willing to comment on comparatively priced aperion bookcase speakers in terms of price/value.
belizebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #63

I can not speak to the sound of Aperion's bookshelf speakers but I can say that their tower speakers are an exceptional value and sound very good for the money. On par with Paradigm's Monitor line. Deeper bass extension than Vandersteen. As far as a DefTech goes, I prefer DefTech, esspecially when you consider that their latest line of bookshelf speakers come with powered subs built in. Still, you should listen to Aperion, they are very good.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #64

Andrew,

You know I agree with you as I notified you I am buying the Def Tech Mythos ST's for my reference system today! These speakers cost $1,799 each and can easily hang with $20K/ pair systems. I am not kidding on this one! I was all out set to sell my extra car and use the cash for new speakers. I spent a month or so with the new Def Tech's and quite frankly I am keeping the car and the speakers!

The full review will be out soon, but suffice it to say I kept the car and these speakers......
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #65

Why am I not surprised...

Since I heard the Mythos at CEDIA last year I knew they were something special. The bipolar towers I had just couldn't be beat. You'll enjoy the DefTechs. Can't wait for the review.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #66

I am enjoying them more than I should for the price point, more than I should at five times the price point!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, california, dealers, deftech, gallo, klipsch, mythos, performance, price, reference, southern, speakers, synergy, system, usher, vs