Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 10-05-2007   #1

Default European vs. North American Sound

I come up against this a lot. I own both Meridian and Paradigm Speaker systems and use them as reviewing tools in nearly every review I do. I keep two systems (in the same room) for a number of reasons; mostly because a vast majority of speakers are either made (or should I say designed) in North America or across the pond in Europe. Obviously, a lot of speakers regardless of where they are designed are assembled or at least partially assembled in China or Japan but I don't want to get into that.

I've found that most North American speakers (this includes Canada) sound a bit more forward across the board where as most European speakers are laid back and a touch dry. Which one you prefer is up to you. Each has their strengths and weaknesses which is why I keep two systems always at the ready.

It's just interesting to me how the technology all stems from the same basic principles yet you couldn't get two more different sounds, yet still be consistent based upon geographical location. Is it a personality thing? A cultural thing? What are your thoughts, or am I just crazy?

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #2

Default Re: European vs. North American Sound

British speakers sound different than italian ones for instance.
Europe has many cultures and you can expect a different appeal from Sonus Faber or Linn, for istance.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #3

Default Re: European vs. North American Sound

People have historically talked about an "east coast" and "west coast" sound.

While I apreciate the more dry, accurate sound of the Eropean or East Coast sound - I tend to prefer the more exciting, engaging "west coast" sound having been a fan of MartinLogan, Wilson and Revel in my personal system.

Then there are excpetions to the rule. For example, I think Definitve Technolgy has a west coast sound but they are based in Baltimore. Go figure. I guess it isn't a perfect analogy.....
Sponsored Links

Tags
america, american, audio, coast, east, europe, european, europeean, forum, loudspeakers, sound, sounding, stereo, video, vs, west