Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   Looking for decent in-walls /in-ceiling speakers for family room (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/831-looking-decent-walls-ceiling-speakers-family-room.html)

robybuck 10-01-2007 03:10 PM

Looking for decent in-walls /in-ceiling speakers for family room

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am looking for a decent set of in-wall speakers for my family room. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any issues to be concerned with?

Robinson_A 10-01-2007 04:37 PM

Re: Looking for decent in-walls /in-ceiling speakers for family room

First, let me welcome you to the AVRevforum. Hopefully, as time goes by you'll get all the answers you seek here.

My question to you is what are you hoping to spend? From there I can help to guide you a little better. Also, how old is your home, what materials are your walls made out of, and how big is the room? Are you looking for background sound or will you be listening to these critically?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I lead you down the right path.

Andrew

robybuck 10-01-2007 05:01 PM

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the reply. I dont have a budget, because i dont know what is reasonable to expect. My home is about 10 years old. Walls are sheetrock. Room is 15x12, with my plasma in one corner in a built-in.

I am not really very critical on the sound, so I dont really want to spend top $ on this, but at the same time Idont want to spend money, and then wish i would have spent just a little more.

wazzzup 10-01-2007 06:30 PM

Hey Roby. I'd look at brands like Paradigm, RBH, Energy, Polk. It's all quality stuff but wont cost you a ton. I bet a good pair if in-walls from any of these brands could be had (and dont quote me) for $300 to $400.

Robinson_A 10-01-2007 06:50 PM

Paradigm is always a good choice and a solid value. RBH is a personal favorite of mine as well. I would go Polk over Energy, however, I believe both Paradigm and RBH make a better speaker.

Both Paradigm and RBH will take you from entry to high end when it comes to inwalls. I would also look into Aperion Audio's inwalls. I recently reviewed their floor standing speakers and was quite impressed. Their in wall speakers use similar, if not the same, drivers and such so I would imagine the sound to be somewhat similar. Aperion in walls are also very affordable.

I would also look at Definitive Technology, their in walls are wicked good, as are Martin Logans.

Actually, unless you're spending some money, say more than $600-700/pair Definitive and RBH are your best bets.

Andrew

clinthicum 10-01-2007 08:57 PM

And if $300-$400 per pair is still more than what you expected to spend....consider Proficient Audio speakers.

No matter what brand you go with for in-walls....don't overlook the necessity (in my opinion) to supplement the speakers with a good subwoofer. Typical in-walls can't handle alot of bass. If you're using the in-walls or in-ceiling speakers for music only; you may be able to get by without a subwoofer. But if you plan to play DVD movie audio thru them for surround sound purposes, you'll definitely want to get a sub.