Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-01-2011   #19

Default Re: Revel Speaker Owners - Post about Revel Speakers here

Hello Revel owners. New to this forum and hope I can gen some input on Revel loudspeakers.
I currently am borrowing M20's and they are just superb in the mids and quite nice on the highs. They only lack low bass since I am not using them w/sub.
My question to you revel experienced individuals is this: What floorstanding Revel models sound like the M20 but have deeper bass?
It seems that if I buy these M20 models I would definitely need a sub and I know sometimes sat/sub systems do not integrate as nicely as a full range speaker.
So, look forward to inputs on what sounds as wonderful as the M20 but is a full range Revel floorstander?
Regards,

PS: If there is another Revel area that might be better, please direct me to the URL.
eponies59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #20

I purchased the Salon2's this past summer (2010) and kept the first generation Ultima center channel. My first gen Studio's are sitting in the garage in their shipping cartons waiting for surround duty in the dedicated theater that will someday be constructed when the wife relents.

The Salon2 bass response is simply amazing. I'm hearing solid bass lines that simply weren't as dynamic on the Studios. I have noticed that the Salon2's need to be driven fairly hard to come alive. I'm using a Levinson 335 amp...maybe I need to upgrade the power; however, I really like the Levinson combined with the bright and forward Revels.

I know there are even better (more expensive) loudspeakers out there, but I didn't audition anything that sounded as good or better in the $20-30K price range.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #21

Hello ChiefTK. Thank you for the input on the Salon's and their bass reproduction. From what I gather is their mid range can be a bit OTT without extraordinary amps. I am currently using a Parasound 2250 on my surround system breaking in the M20's but plan on using the final speaker in my 2 channel room that has a custom tube pre running into a McCormack DNA225. My source is a Lexicon RT20. The McC DNA is substantial and brings out the best on every speaker I have tried and have had a few speakers such as Polk Monitor 10B, Joseph Audio RM25xl and Martin Logan SL3 ESL's.
My biggest issue is that so many are suggesting the new gen Revels do not quite have the liquid mids of the M20 therefore, is why I started this thread. The fellow who is loaning me the M20's demoed the M22's also and decided the M20 has the better mid range and lacks nothing compared to the current Revels.
My 2 channel goal is to be full range since I currently have a pair of Rogers Studio 1's that go down to 40 Hz but sound deeper than their spec or anything else I have tested. The super tweeter in the Rogers is a KEF driver, Celestion mid range and a Rogers woof. The Rogers outclass the M20 Revel in upper and lower ranges but, The Revel has the mid range to die for. Almost sounds tube like w/bloom but looses no detail.
Cheers eponies60
eponies59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponies59 View Post
Hello ChiefTK. Thank you for the input on the Salon's and their bass reproduction. From what I gather is their mid range can be a bit OTT without extraordinary amps. \
I am very satisfied with the midrange reproduction of the Salon2's. Brass instruments are extremely natural, but somewhat forward in the presentation. If there is a negative, it might be that some people will think the Revels are simply too bright and harsh.

I use an Esoteric DV-50s for discs and I have ordered an Oppo BD-93 to replace the BD-83. I like the Ayre universal player, but I'm not willing to pony the cash as I've always enjoyed the Esoteric for CD and SACD. For control, I have a Classé SSP-800 and have been very satisfied using it both as a processor and preamp.

The Salon2's are not very efficient and, while the Levinson has always had enough headroom for my listening, I think more powerful amplification might provide an even better listening experience. I have listened to the Classé 600w mono blocks and may very well consider this upgrade for my next purchase.

New amps may require some time as my wife does not share my passion and tends to look less favorably on the somewhat consistent cash outgo
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, forum, owners, revel, revels, review, reviews, revolutions, salon, salon2, similar, sound, speakers, voice, wilson